TheBanyanTree: hot stuff

Sachet Sachet at alltel.net
Mon Jan 17 15:00:50 PST 2005

I love my electric blanket. Especially since it comes with two controls.
My husband is such a warm-blooded thang that he rarely turns his past Low. I
usually keep mine at 4. (The scale being L - 9.) How someone could
handle anything above 5, I dunno. Five downright cooks ya.

Last week I decided that it was time to wash my new blanket. Mainly, I
think because I love the way that the scent of Downy wafts through the
air after I wash something big like a blanket. So anyway,  I
oh-so-carefully disconnected the wires, read and re-read the washing
instructions, set the washer to handwash, dried it on gentle for just a
bit and then air dried it. When it was time to reconnect it, I was again
so very careful. I tested it out by turning both controls to 4 and was
relieved that all was well. I turned everything off until an hour or so
before bedtime when I turned my side to 4 and Jim's to Low. It's nice to
climb into a warm bed.

So imagine my surprise when I went to bed and the sheets were chilly.
Not frigidly cold, but not toasty warm as usual. I was sleepy enough to
just reach over and crank my control up and waited for the warmth to
slowly seep down. I woke up a few minutes later STILL cold. So I cranked
it up some more and waited, this time staying awake because the thought
occurred that the washer had somehow damaged the blanket and I was
going to have to return it the next day, because doggone it, I should be
able to wash the stupid thing and actually use it again, since I had
followed the instructions so carefully! I lay there cold, and frustrated
that I couldn't get warm except for where I could touch Jim. All I have
to do is nudge him and he will snuggle wonderfully well, a cocoon of
warmth, except for my feet. So I nudged him and tucked my feet onto his
side of the bed. His TOASTY WARM side of the bed. Hmmm...his side
shouldn't be toasty warm. His side should be just a tad chilly like he
likes it, which is what the Low setting will do to frigidly cold sheets.
I lay there a minute fuzzily thinking ...Oh great his side works but
mine doesn't so I still have to return the stupid thing.

I sighed in defeat and nestled into sleep and thought the heck with it.

As I was drifting off to sleep it hit me! His side is TOASTY WARM and my
side is chilly?!?!?!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggg! I put the blanket
on backwards!! So I climb over Jim to reach his controls which are now
controlling MY side of the bed and crank his controls up to 4. (He of
course thinks that he must be having a wonderfully hot dream or that I
am feeling really romantic.... until I huff at him to go back to sleep
and that all I am doing is fixing the electric blanket. Poor guy. It
musta been very confusing. <g>) Fortunately for him I remembered to turn
his settings back down to Low. I never did look and see just how high I
had turned the stupid thing in my shivering quest for warmth. <g> No
wonder he was so warm.

 :-P

...Sachet (who thinks electric blankets need to come with idiot proof
directions)