TheBanyanTree: Where do they go?

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Tue Dec 13 04:40:43 PST 2005

I don't know if this is any help on the missing emails but I have msn at
home and GroupWise at work.  I receive  my emails from my writing sites
at both work and home addresses (except the Banyan Tree which I have
sent to work only).  That was happening to me...I would get emails at
work but not at home .  I wasn't as concerned until my family members'
emails came up missing as well.  We called msn and they said (now get
this) that msn had a virus and it was affecting some accounts and not
others and mine was one of those being affected.  I am in the process of
changing my email server.  I asked our IT department and they said
they've never heard of such a thing but they are looking into it.  I
also asked if I could get a virus from msn.  Msn says no, IT 'ahemed' on
that one.  They suggested getting an update on my virus Symantic
software and changing servers.

The IP address?  I have no idea...I am a bit challenged myself on these
things.

Sharon

>>> Pat Martin <mspatmartin at shaw.ca> 12/12/2005 9:45:27 PM >>>

I have a computer situation that baffles me.  Can anyone shed some
light on it?

My computer has a Sygate personal firewall installed (set on 'normal').
 It also has McAfee and AVG free.

Every morning when I turn on my computer, a box comes up that says AVG
is scanning my incoming emails.  But there's a problem. While AVG scans
5 emails, only three or four appear in my inbox.

My daughter sent me an email three days ago that has not appeared in my
inbox but it shows as having been successfully sent.  I have no way of
knowing what other emails have gone astray.  So... where do the missing
emails go?

And the other thing that worries me is that I sometimes get a message
that someone is scanning my computer and it gives me the IP? address,
such as 222.38.148.19..  Does this mean a hacker is looking over my
files?  How can I find out where this IP address is located?

Okay... so I'm technically challenged.  Can't help it; it's just me.
Any insights would be appreciated.

Pat Martin