TheBanyanTree: Dances Wth Goats

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Dec 13 16:33:46 PST 2005

It was chilly this morning, which always makes the horses frisky.  I turned
them out after breakfast, and watched as they dashed and bucked and cavorted
across the pasture.  I let the goats out, and they headed for the hay and the
pond.

We have five goats: a wether, three does, and Chocolate, very much the boss
man in goatland. The wether (ahem, neutered male) and the does settled into the
hay to munch.  Chocolate looked up and watched the racing horses. Then, he
reared up on his hind legs, horns cocked, and dashed after them. I watched
intently, worrying that he might be up to some michief.

Then, he threw himself into the air, and performed a sort of twisting leap,
ala ballet. He danced on his hind  legs,  he leaped, he spun. He  made the
horses dash about, and they cricled him.  Laughing, I could not pass  up this
weird opportunity.

I ran and joined the goat in the middle of the circling horses.  Chocolate
cast his amber eyes at me and reared again, and I thought for a moment it was a
threatening move. But,  no, he wanted to dance. With the horses running the
circle around us, Chocolate and I danced and leaped, and I hope no one was
watching. Chocolate's twisting leaps and elaborate spins far outshined my dull
prancing. But, I danced with the  goat.

I was a child again.

Every now and then, there is a moment in life that takes my breath away.