TheBanyanTree: It's Fair Time

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 31 06:22:20 PDT 2005

   I was the heartland of America this week, passing time at Des Moines
and other areas, taking in, for one, the Iowa State Fair.

   If you've never been to a state fair like the one mentioned above
you are in for a treat.  The sights, sounds, and smells will stay with
you for years afterward.  The day I was there the crowd swelled to over
100,000.

   Ever had a pork chop on a stick?  It's one of the most popular food
items being chomped on and carried by attendees.  Eschew pork?  How
about a smoked turkey leg, cooked to a deep brown, the base wrapped in
tissue paper and the people biting down on them and carrying them
around looking like neo-cavemen ('cept cavemen/cavewomen didn't wear
tee shirts that said things like, "I'm With Stupid" did they? ;-)

   Deep fat fried pickles anyone?  or deep fat fried Snickers, Baby
Ruth or other candy bars?  Yep, the vendors are in abundance.  Of
course there's less exotic foods as well, like pizza, hamburgers, hot
dogs, kettle corn, barbecue, candied apples and the like.

   And it being summer and all, the ladies are dressed in a manner that
helped to keep them cool while walking the miles away trying to get
their money's worth by seeing every inch of the fair.  That was an
added bonus for the male of the species that attended.  There were some
fine looking ladies there.

   Of course at a state fair in the Midwest there are animals, too. No
pets are allowed but there are animals everywhere -- from the humongous
to the micro-miniature.  Porkers and steers, llamas and emus, pigeons
and partridges, dogs and cats, and you name it.  From blue ribbon
winners to those that should be in Ripley's Believe or Not.

   And there are vendors of all sorts about in official stands.  It's
like a flea market on steroids.

   Did I mention the smells of barbecue being smoked, kettle corn
cooking, hamburgers on massive outdoor grills, perfume, sweat, a
hundred different types of animal manure, (and the occasional whiff of
human waste when one happens upon the portapotties that been filled to
overflowing and percolating in the August sun) sawdust from various
hard and soft woods, diesel smoke, stale beer, and the occasional
upchuck from a bad meal combination.

   And did I mention the life sized butter cow sculpture?  Yep, a lady
has been carving out a full size dairy cow made out of nothing but
butter every year now for the fair for almost 5 decades.  She typically
carves a life sized butter celebrity for the fair as well.  This year?
Tiger Woods holding a tiger by a leash.  You gotta' see it to believe
it.

   Anything new?  Why yes, they've added the outhouse races.  You
haven't lived until you get to see outhouses zooming around an obstacle
course in the Grand Concourse and witness the mad dash to the finish
line to be the top outhouse on wheels. The cheering crowds were flushed
with excitement.

   There's live music, canned music, bad music, great music, and music
for just about any taste. Like to dance?  Go ahead with yo' bad self
and break out in a rug-cutting session where you are and when you feel
like it. Ain't nobody gonna' notice and ain't nobody gonna' care.

   The Iowa State Fair: For the price of admission you can become a
part of the sea of humanity enjoying an unforgettable experience and be
fairly entertained.