TheBanyanTree: Exhausted

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Apr 10 05:35:48 PDT 2005

Why am I so tired?  And I’m not just tired, but I’m suffering from severe
inertia.  I think it must be vacation letdown.

I spent the couple weeks before my vacation running on adrenaline, trying to
get everything ready.  Then I’m on vacation, really relaxed, but my sleep
pattern was messed up.  I would be tired, but couldn't’t go to sleep until
the wee hours of the morning, and then we would have to get up early to for
one of our excursions.

I got about two hours sleep during on our last night on the ship, because
Ray was up and down coughing.  We were in a very small space and I had no
where to go to escape the hacking.  Ray coughed up some blood (not a big
deal for Ray – his lungs are bad and get easily irritated when he coughs),
so he was trying to clean it up off of his shirt.  He washed the blood out
of his shirt and then was using the hair dryer to dry it.  The hair dryer
woke me up and I couldn't’t get back to sleep.

I gave in to my wakefulness and took a shower, got dressed, and then packed
the final, final stuff in our carryon bags.  We ate breakfast early and then
waited for our “color” to be called, so we could get off the ship, get our
luggage, go through US Customs, and then find our bus that would take us to
the airport.

Then we checked in our heavy bags at the airport, went through security
(where now we have to practically strip down to our underwear), grabbed some
magazines and food and waited for our flight home.

We get on the ground, find our luggage, find a cab, and then go home.  That’
s a long day of doing nothing but moving from place to another.

The weather has been glorious in Minnesota.  The buds are thickening on the
trees.  The perennials in my garden are popping up.  We haven’t had to wear
jackets.  It’s been a great transition from heat and extreme humidity to
this pleasant warm air of a Minnesota spring.

But I’m tired.  And I haven’t done much since we’ve been home.  We’ve sorted
through the mail and email.  I’ve done a massive amount of laundry.  Ray
vacuumed yesterday.  I went tanning to help keep my dark color for a little
bit longer.  I raked half of the back yard yesterday while our grandsons
were here.  We went grocery shopping.  I dropped off my film to be
developed.  I baked chocolate chip cookies.

I still have to go through bills.  I have some things I need to do for my
women’s organization.  Although I kept up a cardio work out routine onboard
the ship, it’s time to get back to the gym and hit those weights again.  I’m
sure I gained weight.  I feel like a puff ball.  We have to get this house
in shape to sell.  Raking the yard is step one.

I dread going to work tomorrow.  I’ll have a million emails to go through.
I’ll have to find out what’s going on.  What did I miss?  I’ll have to
resume my power struggle with Vicki.  Yes, there’s something to be said
about simplifying my life and moving to Belize, my favorite country from the
cruise.

And I’m so tired.  The last two nights I fell asleep on the couch at 8 pm
and dragged myself to bed when Ray got up to go to bed.  Then I slept like a
rock the rest of the night.  I’m sure I’m tired because I’m catching up on
lost sleep, it’s spring, I’m transitioning from pure pleasure to pure work
and stress, and I’m using sleep to escape my re-entry back into real life.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

I see great things in baseball.  It's our game - the American game.  It will
take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger
physical stoicism.  Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set.
Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us.
~Walt Whitman