TheBanyanTree: What a card, CORRECTION

Cecil cctalley at uia.net
Sun Sep 5 17:26:40 PDT 2004

At 1:17 PM -0700 9/5/04, Tobie Shapiro wrote:
>	It is strange that as I write myself to sleep in this big
>book, I am galled by the repetition, the mandanity, the awful
>ordinariness and tediousness of my life and the way I describe it.
>But when I reread, I find it insightful, arresting, hilarious,
>evocative, unusual and never redundant.
>
>	What I meant to type was:
>
>	mundanity      NOT  mandanity.   I have no idea what
>mandanity is.   I know deeply what mundanity is.  That's the word I
>wanted, not mandanity as it was printed.

Hey, Tobie, maybe you have coined a new word.

	MANDANITY: A man's desire to be regarded as a dandy.

That reminds me of the bygone days when I was four years old. Two of
my older half sisters would stand me up on the ironing board and have
me recite this little poem:

		I'm a dandy; I'm a swell,
		Fresh from college,
		Can't you tell?
		My daddy's rich, we all know well,
		And I'm the beau of every belle.

Too bad Hollywood didn't know about me.

BTW, my spell checker does not list mundanity as a word, but I know
perfectly well what it means. Story of my life with an exception now
and then. One of them occurred last month when I was flown up to
Seattle and had a party given for me by my granddaughter's in-laws.
The family boasts several musicians, and they insisted that I bring
my harmonica to play with two guitar players and a drummer.

Okay, so I'm no Larry Adler, but we did have fun. Gene switched back
and forth between his camcorder and mine, and we have the madness on
tape and DVDs. There was also some singing and joking. Anybody want a
copy, send me your snail addy.

Tobie, I have been wondering about the situation regarding David. Can
you bring  me up to date?

Hugs, Cecil

It's still hot down here, too, and mundanity has me helplessly
entwined in its test--uh--tentacles.