TheBanyanTree: Bad medicine

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Sep 28 16:49:44 PDT 2004

September 28, 2000000004

Wishing you all well,

	This morning I was trying to find a missing hair clip.  It
had disappeared from its perch on the corner of my bedside table
during the night.  I had to assume that Shulamit knocked it off by
accident, or when I was fumbling around for some pill or clock in the
middle of the dark night, maybe I dislodged it and sent it flying to
the floor.  I'd looked all over the whole area --  crouched down with
a flashlight, finding other hideous things under the bed and under
the night stand: dust, tumbleweeds of dust, papers, old catalogues, a
few piles of ancient cat vomit -- no hair clip.

	I was searching through the open drawer in the night stand.
It sits open, full of pill bottles, an oversized envelope of postage
stamps and address labels, ointments and creams, medicines of every
stripe  --  discarded pharmaceuticals that caused bad side effects
(so why do I keep them?), Vogelsang's old collar and tag, a lot of
cat hair, pens.  The drawer stands open and a cornucopia of junk
extrudes from it.  Maybe the hair clip fell into the gaping drawer.

	So I was rifling around in it and came across a Polaroid
photograph of Villainman, when he was still the husband who doesn't
love me.  There he was, examining something small, a cat in the
background.

	I stared at the photo for as long as I could stand it.  A
slice of melancholy slit my throat.  Here was the man I lived with,
shared a life with, suffered mundanities and duties with.  We raised
children and accompanied each other through catastrophes, every day,
for nearly 20 years.  He was so familiar to me.  He wasn't well loved
by me for quite some time, at least, not respected other than for his
intellect, maybe for a wishy-washy conviction or two.  I mostly wept
about the awful marriage.  Couldn't we fix it?  Why wouldn't he wake
up and fix it with me?  He never tried.  Now, he is an utter
stranger.  He's turned cold and irrational.  Hallucinations, what he
thinks of as insights and revelations, guide his moves --   the man
who returned from Greece after a three week stay, and hasn't called
to ask how his children are.  The worst of him has flowered, and the
best of him has expired.

	I turned the picture over and deposited it back into the
drawer, like a bad batch of pills that were supposed to cure me, but
just gave  me heart palpitations, rashes, and headaches.  I couldn't
quite throw the picture away, even though I don't ever want to look
at it again.

Tobie
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro