TheBanyanTree: The weight thing

Gloria gloriab at voyager.net
Sun Sep 26 11:17:55 PDT 2004

As summer is disappearing, I notice that I've neither increased or decreased as far as my weight goes.  That's fine.  It's the gain that I would be concerned about.  A loss would be welcomed, though the health charts say I'm within the healthy range.

I went to the wedding of a co-worker and friend last night.  It's been quite some time that I've worn a dress that I love.  The only thing I didn't like about this "little black dress" was the fact that it was black.  I wondered whether modern etiquette frowns upon wearing black to a wedding.  I've learned that if it is frowned upon, most people don't know it.  There were lots of people wearing black or black with a bit of another color.  I'd have selected another color for a new dress, if I had a selection to choose from.  Dresses aren't easy to come by in these parts.

A female acquaintance remarked that I looked beautiful and how it must be nice to not have to worry about my weight.  First I was shocked over the beautiful part.  I'm not normally known as beautiful as Webster describes appearance.  The beauty of me on the inside is however, noticed by some.  It was the second part of the remark that sparked a response.  I tried to explain to the gal that I am concerned about my weight.  I watch what I eat.  She blew it off like it couldn't possibly be true.  It IS true.

I've heard various comments every time I've gone to Curves to work out.  I think I've been three times now.  The comment might be in the form of a question with an added statement.  "Why are you here?  You don't look like you need to lose weight."  My initial response is a chuckle.  Then the I state the facts.  I tell them that I'm not there to lose weight; that would be a bonus.  I'm there to get my heart pumping, my muscles toned, and to work off some stress.  I've learned that a sedentary life is just as bad for the body as being overweight can be.

So today I'm thinking about it all.  Is is true that I don't have to work as hard at it as others do, or has a lifetime of paying attention to my weight given me an easier path?  I like to think it's my reward for making healthy choices.  Those choices aren't always easy to make.  I have what I call "fat days."  I eat anything and everything I want.  I don't care if it's a balanced diet, or a highly unbalanced menu.  I don't care about the fat content and I don't care how much sugar or chocolate is in the food.  I might eat dessert for dinner and a snack before bed.  I don't schedule these fat days; I accept them when they come.  I figure my body is telling me that it needs some of that fat filled, sugary stuff. Of course if the fat days begin to tempt me too often, I have to shut them down and remember that healthy foods can also be enjoyed.

Just a few thoughts from the other side of the weight spectrum...
Gloria...aka Dreamer ~ Always dreamin' of a kinder, gentler world for ALL