TheBanyanTree: Ugly Orchids

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Oct 29 04:02:15 PDT 2004

I have a small collection of orchids hanging in an oak tree or nestled on the
ground underneath the shading branches. I spray them with warm well water now
and then, but otherwise, they thrive on neglect.  Should I pamper them, they
grow wrinkly or yellow, but left alone under the oak's shade, they grow lush
and large. Hurricanes or drought, it doesn't matter to them. They get their
nourishment from the very air; the roots serving only as anchors in most
varieties, except in those types where the roots dangle free. Then, the roots, too,
gather in moisture and nourishment from the very air.  A very primitive sort of
plant, probably existing during the time of dinosaurs.

"Rather ugly, aren't they?" asked a friend, viewing my collection.  Well,
yes, if viewed that way, the plants grow gangly and lopsided. They aren't pruned
into neat shapes, but left to send off long shoots wherever they are inspired
to do so, and the ones up in the tree branches have long roots hanging down
like unkempt hair.

But one day, looking out the window, my friend exclaimed, "Holy cow, would
you look at that." And, she raced out to see what it was.  Two of the orchids
were in bloom. The one on the ground sported a dozen huge purple and white
blooms, the sort worn to the prom. The plant swinging in the tree branches send out
a spike on which grew a cluster of  deep copper flowers. My friend likened it
to a very exotic bridal bouquet.

She reached out, but didn't dare to touch the transluscent petals.  I brought
ther blooming plants into the house, so that we could enjoy the fantastic
blooms. On a shaded window sill and tabletop, the flowers brightened the entire
room. The bloom lasts up to three months before they finally fade and grow
limp. Each time another plant showed a spike of bloom, it was brought into the
house to brighten a corner. Then, after the color was gone, the plants were put
back under the oak tree.  My friend no longer makes fun of my 'ugly' orchids.

NancyLee