TheBanyanTree: Fun auction

Gloria gloriab at voyager.net
Sat Nov 20 19:17:05 PST 2004

I went to a fun auction tonight.  The money raised is going to kids for
Christmas.  Don't want any kids not having a fun Christmas morning, do we?

Ed started this thing 15 years ago.  He works for UPS and for some reason
started asking people to donate coats, new or good used, and he would
deliver them along his routes to kids that needed them.  Years later,
volunteers joined in and started collecting donated merchandise to auction
off.

I found one item particularly interesting and thought there are probably
many places this could be used a fund-raiser.  They put instant lottery
tickets, lots and lots of them, inside a poster-type frame.  Made a picture
out of it.  They sold raffle tickets and the one winner got the picture.
There were about 150-200 people at this auction.  They raised $984 on that!
Another odd item... Susie somebody's cheesecake... $100.  Local gal, good
stuff apparently.   Buy a cheesecake for 100 bucks?  Nice to see the
generosity.

Me?  What did I buy?  A kewl white metal reindeer, decorated for Christmas.
Stands about 2 foot high at the horns and is about 3 foot long.  $60.  She
is sooooo cute!  And I bought a Rosco Mini-Bus jacket for $35.  The only
reason being that I recently became a Board member for that organization.
Oh...and I bought raffle tickets.

So, the Christmas spirit is alive and well in my hometown.  Preparations are
already taking place to care for one's neighbors and it gives me a case of
the warm fuzzies.

Gloria