TheBanyanTree: Beautiful Colors

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 18 23:57:38 PST 2004

Woofess commented on how colors are figuring more prominently now in her life after a visit with her doctor. It reminded me of an event in my life less than 24 hours ago.

Our family stopped off at a shopping center nearby our home last night to pick up a couple of Subway sandwiches. In a parking lot "island" stood a small oak of some sort, ablaze with varying hues of orange, red, light browns and yellows.  It was stunning in the artifical light of the shopping center and made one pause for a moment to admire the simple beauty of such vivid fall colors.

I couldn't get over how it stood out so in the backdrop of contoured concrete curbs, black cracked asphalt, painted lines, and cars.  Trash blew about the lot and a lone killdeer circled for hour after hour uttering a faint screech as it, probably driven by some genetic homing device in its brain, tried in vain to find and land on the home "soil" of its ancestors -- although the soil had long ago been covered over with the modern trappings of life.  It served as a reminder of conflict and frustration, of hopes dashed and birthrights stolen. It served as a reminder that there is more to life than go, take, spend and take some more.

Such beauty is free for anyone passing by or stopped in the lot who dares take the time to notice. I am glad to have been in the right mood, I suppose, to notice.

Maybe I should get my medications adjusted too. I could swear that I see more colors lately.

  bd