TheBanyanTree: Another story for today

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Fri Nov 5 17:02:04 PST 2004

So my significant friend has an ankle injury. He sprained it one night while
walking the dog by himself. Then, a few days ago, he resprained it. He's
supposed to keep off of it, keep it elevated. Since his job involves being
on the phone all day, he can stay off of it, pretty much, and since his
employer is a health services company, they know better than to deny him an
elevated spot to put it. So that's all good.

But this morning we stood in line for close to 2 hours waiting for a store
to open. Don't ask me why. It was his idea, and as an accommodating sort of
person I went along with it. I had to get up way too early, but that's
beside the point. So we're standing there in line. We're back about 45 or so
from the front of the line.

My SF is funny. Keeps me in stitches. (Which is why I can't lose weight --
I'd be in trouble once I got to the part where I have to be serious.) He
offered to go up to the front of the line and get us breakfast. SmartWool
was passing out free food. I offered to go, but he said he'd do it. And so
he limped up to the table way up at the front of the line.

He limped slowly. I keep telling him, because he is a rambunctious rowdy
youth, prone to horseplay and much activity, to walk like he's 80, or he'll
just keep re-injuring himself. So he limped up there slowly. And then limped
back, slowly. Empty handed, which rather concerned me.

Walked right up to me, slowly, and limping, and said, "Do you want a bagel
or a muffin?"

I thought the guy standing in line behind us was going to die.

"Bagel," I said, looking at my friend as if he were insane. (I rather expect
he is.)

"Okay, be right back. I didn't want to make a decision," and he slowly began
limping away again. I managed to smack him before he got away though. I have
to do that to keep him in line.

Then he turned and began making his way back. "Plain cream cheese or
strawberry?"

"Plain." He turned back again, walking very slowly, like he's been told.

And eventually he did return with breakfast. Of course, he can't understand
the whole thing about plain cream cheese, so half of my bagel had strawberry
cream cheese on it. And that's what happens. He ASKS what I want, but if he
thinks I've made a mistake (and I very well might have, and might have
needed a muffin instead of a bagel), he has no hesitation about giving me
what I'm SUPPOSED to have.

As long as we can amuse the people around us, we're happy.

Monique