TheBanyanTree: postal prohibition

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Wed Mar 24 16:27:29 PST 2004

I did not know this. And I know pretty much . . . nothing. I once worked for
a manufacturer wherein the marketing department had a swell idea one
Christmas. They decided for their Christmas gifts to their distributors and
whatever all over the country to send bottles of wine, and to their
favorites to send a deluxe box. First of all, let's completely forget the
fact that perhaps not everyone likes wine, or can drink. Some people don't
drink at all, for whatever reason, and to receive a bottle of wine? Well.

Be that as it may. We shipped out all these bottles of wine by UPS.

I was fortunate enough to be in the department that had some sort of
responsibility for filing claims with UPS when packages were damaged, lost,
missing in action, or leaking. A lot. And the complaints kept coming in. And
coming. We were inundated with claims. We shipped a lot of wine. Some of
which, I'm sure, made it to their intended destinations intact. And much of
it not so much so. I hear freezing wine results in some really good wine,
which would be fortunate, since there was that issue to contend with as well
-- all I know is, our shipping experiment with wine turned out very badly --
but that's no doubt due to the supreme incompetence of our marketing
department. I do believe that was the last year wine was sent out at
Christmas.

M7