TheBanyanTree: Memories

Theta Brentnall theta at garlic.com
Fri Mar 26 09:55:39 PST 2004

My poor dad is steadily losing his.  It's hard on both of us, for different
reasons.  Until last spring he had been living with his lovely lady friend,
Norma, up in the mountains outside of Colorado Springs.  Then he fell on
the ice and broke his hip.  I flew out and spent a month dealing with
hospital, nursing home and rehab.  He couldn't remember the instructions
from his therapist for more than a few minutes, and most of the rehab
facilities said they wouldn't accept him because it was a waste of their
time, but I finally found one that was more patient and humane, but I had
to be with him most of the day to remind him over and over to do the
exercises and not do the forbidden movements.  Then I came back here and
started looking for an assisted living place for him to move into.

We moved him out here in May and it was rough at first.  He was not happy
with me, to say the least.  He felt like Norma had deserted him, even
though he agreed that it was impossible for her to take care of him any
more, and he felt like I was terrible for putting him in assisted
living.  I had to keep reminding him that there is no way to get into our
house without going up and down stairs, and that I don't do dinner at 5 on
the dot.  Besides, the place is wonderful, with a happy staff, lots of
activities, and really good food.

Gradually we got into a comfortable pattern.  I would visit every other day
and take him out to lunch a couple of times a week.  There was a script for
each visit.

"Where's my truck?"  At first I said it was at Norma's in Colorado, which
for a long time it was.  Then he started to be bewildered by that.  "Why is
it in Colorado?"  I finally realized that he had forgotten about
Colorado.  He still remembered Norma, but to him, they had lived in Texas
in his mobile home down on the Rio Grande border.  So then I told him it
was at my house, which satisfied him, and when our daughter brought it out
from Colorado, I took a picture of it by his 5th wheel trailer, which he
left here a few years ago.

"Where is Norma?  Why isn't she here?"  So I would tell him she was at her
house in Colorado, and we would have to discuss Colorado versus Texas, with
him all the while shaking his head, saying "I don't remember that.  I don't
remember that."

"Why am I here?  How long do I have to stay?"  This one is so hard.  He
doesn't remember being in Colorado, breaking his hip, anything about the
intervening months.  We end up going back to the stairs he can't negotiate
and my abject failure as a good daughter who serves dinner at 5.

And five minutes later, we reprise the whole conversation again.  And
again.  And I remind myself each time that he does not remember the last
conversation, and I tell myself to answer each question like it was first
time he asked it, because it just upsets him if I say, "don't you remember
- we just discussed this five minutes ago."

Then in the summer, Gerry and I took a week and drove over to the Oregon
coast (where we met Dee!).  I wrote my father a note about the trip and put
it by his phone, with instructions to call me whenever he wanted.  He has a
neat phone with pictures he can push to auto-dial the house or my cell
phone.  Two days out, I got a call from the staff nurse, saying he was in
the hospital.  After a day of calls back and forth, it was determined that
he had a panic attack.  Every time I talked to him for the rest of the
trip, he told me how sick he was.

A month later we spent the weekend at our church's family camp.  Father
ended up in the hospital having a panic attack.  When we got back I had a
talk with his doctor, who told me very firmly to stop feeling guilty and
she made some changes in our schedule.  I was to visit on a much more
random basis - do a couple of days in a row, then skip two.  Come in the
morning, then visit in the afternoon.  Call him at random times.  And the
next time I left town DO NOT TELL HIM!  I cried.  But eventually I had to
admit that it worked out well.

(to be continued)

Theta