TheBanyanTree: Here and Now

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Tue Mar 23 05:24:14 PST 2004

We lay awake, a twisted tangle of sheets and comforter and pillows, and it's
okay, it's fine, it's good. And you look at me, our faces close together,
and you ask if I'm happy, and I say yes, I am, and I ask if you're happy,
and you say yes, very. Sometimes you say that if I am happy you're even
happier.

We lay awake, almost asleep, you hold me close, your hold on me doesn't
relax even as you begin to sleep, I can tell from your breathing you're
asleep, but still your arm holds me close, holds my head on your chest, and
we fall asleep like that.

We lay awake, and it's morning, and when I turn to look at you I find you
looking at me, and as you brush back the hair from my face you pull me close
again, and I am wrapped in your contentment and I am safe.

We lay asleep, and if I awake, even for a moment, I'm aware of you, of your
presence, and I fall back asleep knowing that you're there.

We lay awake in the morning, and when I ask if you slept well you say, yes,
very well, like a baby, and I am glad. Sometimes you fall asleep on me on
the couch, when we're watching a movie, or just laying there, and sometimes
I fall asleep on you. Sometimes we fall asleep on each other, on the couch.
We sleep well together.

What we have is here, and now. That is all that matters.

Monique