TheBanyanTree: My, how time flies!

Jan Denke j_denke at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 12:45:24 PST 2004

I know I'm way late with this, but I thought I'd go ahead and add my two
cents worth anyway...

I found the Spoon in December of 1996...Back then there was this thing
called, "Message in a Bottle", going around the internet so I put my message
in a bottle and tossed it out into cyberspace...Wes was the one who found
it...I don't even remember now what my message said, but Wes responded and
invited me to drop by the Spoon...So I did just days before I was going to
be going into the hospital to have my first total knee replacement done...So
I ended up unsubscribing right away until I was home from the hospital and
was able to spend time sitting at my computer again...

I was mostly a fern lurker just like I'm a hider behind the leaves here, but
I so enjoyed reading everyone's posts to the Spoon just as I do now here on
the Tree...I got acquainted with quite a few of the list members by
privately responding to their posts...I also participated in the Spoon chat
room so was able to get even better acquainted with the people who stopped
in there on a regular basis...

That all seems so long ago now...When Wes decided to close the doors of the
Spoon, I was grief stricken although I really should have seen it coming,
especially after YB passed away...But I didn't so I was in a state of shock
when that announcement came...I didn't join the Tree right away 'cuz I
didn't think anything could ever be like the Spoon again...I don't remember
how long it was before I found my way to the Tree...Acutally, it's all
Sachet's fault...She and I had been e-mailing back and forth and I had been
asking her questions about the Tree and waffling back and forth as to
whether or not I wanted to join the list or not...Finally she just took the
ball out of my hands and said, "There! It's done! I've subscribed you!" And
that was that...I've pretty much been here ever since then, except for a
momentary lull when I left Rapid City and moved to Lincoln, NE, but I had
Paul resubscribe me just as soon as my computer was up and running again...

For those of you who know and remember me and for those of you who don't,
I'm no longer a city bus driver...I'm no longer living in Lincoln, NE
either...I'm now living in Mitchell, SD...Sheesh! I've gone throgh three
moves in less than a year so I hope this last move will be my last...

I haven't worked since I left my job in Rapid City back in October...I've
applied for disability and am waiting to see if I'll be approved for that or
not...Mitchell is even smaller than Rapid City is so there really aren't
very many job opportunities here for a person of my age, etc.

Anyway...I really enjoyed reading all the tributes to Spoon and everyone's
memories of it...There'll never be another Spoon, but the Tree sure does run
a real close second! Thanks to Paul and everyone else who has made having
this list possible...I don't say much very often, but I'm up there on my
branch watching and listening

Take care everyone...Talk to ya all later...

Hugs,
Jan