TheBanyanTree: On Politics and Religion

Jim Miller jim at maze.cc
Sat Jun 12 13:37:46 PDT 2004

My present circumstances permit time to think and time to meditate. A
privilege I failed to afford an appropriate priority during a lifetime
of survival and achievement. If you have read anything I've written over
the past several years, you know that I expect to live to be a very old
man. My optimism and expectations not withstanding, I know that my life
is at the providence of a Great God who knew me before I existed and
whose plan is superior to any wish or will of my own.

As I sit here under the watchful eye of a caring staff, I feel the
erratic pounding in my chest. I'm constantly reminded of my physical
frailty by the frequent alarms sounded at the telemetry monitor. My
optimism is tempered by the rush of a nurse to my room, dispatched to
verify that I'm still conscious and alert, after the alarm has sounded.

It would be naive of me to deny that I may not be here to answer your
next email.

With a lifetime of experiences and memories to ponder in the quiet
moments of the day, I give much thought to how I will be remembered.
These are important pieces of my character that I strive to live by and
wish to be known by when I die.

Therefore:

Never let it be said that He was intolerant or critical of another
person's beliefs; whether those beliefs be born of reasoned
consideration or reactive response.

Never let it be said that He failed to have compassion for those in
unfortunate circumstances; whether those circumstances were brought
about by deliberate disregard for common sense, personal vice, or life's
misfortunes.

Never let it be said that He failed to give out of his abundance to
those dashed to sincere need or desperation by life's circumstance.

Never let it be said that He complained about or condemned the
intolerance of others, as they will be called to a higher power for
accounting.

But:

Let it be said that in all of His personal failings, He loved His wife
with every fiber of His being, always, now, and forever.

Let it be said that He was aware of and fulfilled His responsibility to
His children; that He learned and grew in maturity, maintained a
personal relationship with each, respected their right and
responsibility to lead their life independent of His preferences, and
that He continuously maintained a life that they can proudly emulate.

Let it be said that He was slow to anger except in defense of the
defenseless.

Let it be said that He chose to never argue, but was always willing to
engage in reasoned debate, with an open mind; even knowing that others
often refuse rational and logical discourse.

Let it be said that His life and actions were never selfish or self
centered, and that He never failed to consider the needs of others
before His own.

Let it be said that He was a man of deep convictions; that those
convictions were based on unalterable principles and that He was
unwavering in His commitments and resolve.

Let it be said that His life was, above all else, subject to, and
committed to the infallible, inerrant Will of God.

Let it be said that He was a man of character and that His word was an
unfailing bond.

Let it be said that he was a Good Man.

Before my death; this I declare:

My life is fleeting more rapidly than I can account. Little time remains
to complete the Mission that is my responsibility. I have no time for
trivia, nor for selfish, shrill or closed minded stupid people. They are
hereby banished to the bottomless pit, transported by a simple Outlook
rule I affectionately refer to as the "Twit" filter.

Peace to each of you. May your life be as full and rewarding as mine has
been.

Jim