TheBanyanTree: the day the landlord came to call .....

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Thu Jun 10 04:36:50 PDT 2004

  It all began with a short and sweet email two weeks ago from our
landlord who is an economics lecturer at the University of NSW in
Sydney. Robin and I have lived in this oasis of quietness in Scullin
ACTcalled Kauper St, pronounce it cowper, for three and a half years,
our lease ran out 18 months ago and since then we have lived month to
month, never knowing whether Vince would 'take advantage' of the ever
rising real estate prices and we would find ourselves out on the street
as a result.

Vince said he was going to a wedding nearby the following weekend: could
he call in and have a look at the house, please? What could we say but
'Of course you can' and arranged a time of 2pm on the Sunday. The
thoughts went through our head - was he going to tell us he'd decided to
sell - did he want to live here himself - etc etc. Instantly his request
for a quick look translated into a thorough inspection!

We are not the world's most tidiest people so we decided to bring the
professionals in to help us clean up. You may have heard of an outfit
called Bartercard, which is a business-2-business trade exchange which
uses its own currency (trade dollars), of which we are members. (They're
in the US too.) Looking in their directory we found that of the three
cleaning businesses listed in the ACT only one did domestic stuff. The
day after Robin received the email, I phoned this business, it was
Monday 7pm.

"Well Done Cleaning Services, this is Wally."

"Hi, Wally, this is Roger Pye. Our landlord's coming to inspect the
house next Sunday and we'd like a hand to clean it up if that's
possible. Oh, and this would be a Bartercard job."

"Ah, let's see - what would you be wanting, floors, walls, benchtops,
light switches, that sort of thing?"

The question must have been rhetorical because he kept talking over my
answer. "We call that housekeeping. Let's see, today's out, tomorrow's
out, Wednesday, Thursday - how about Friday morning?"

"I'm away until Friday lunchtime."

"Oh. Well Saturday then, I'll ask the boys, they may not like it because
they worked last weekend. Two men, two hours each, that should do it, 35
bucks an hour, that will cost you $T140."

Saturday morning came by which time the house looked as if it had only
been struck by a small bomb not a nuclear device! Robin being an
academic and me delving into dowsing and energy healing means we have
lots of books, so many I often think we should have shares in Doubleday,
Angus & Robertson, Random House and so on. The books are everywhere - at
a rough count we have 9 bookcases, all full, 3 of them six foot high by
four to five foot wide and the remainder half the height, similar width.
Plus two walls of one of the smaller rooms are fitted with floor to
ceiling shelves for most of their length - they are also well on the way
to being full. So it's not surprising - to us- to have books, magazines
and newspapers on tables chairs and floors. Not all over, you understand
. . .   Visitors do tend to be careful where they walk and sit, however,
particularly considering there are three cats and two dogs as well as us
- not to mention 73 stuffed teddy bears, wombats, rabbits - OK maybe I'm
exaggerating a little - 53!

What to do with the animals was another problem - our landlord knows we
have two dogs and one cat, we have never mentioned the others. Somehow
we would have to temporarily 'lose' two cats and it would be better if
the silky terrier were not around, he tends to be over-friendly with
strangers.

So, Saturday morning came as I said. By then we had seen the TrashPack
Men and got rid of a heap of stuff, done a lot of tidying up and I had
finished and filled the shelving in the back room. Wally's team, due at
9-9.30 arrived at 8.40, one man (Brian) who laconically informed us he
would be on his own, nobody else wanted to work overtime. It turned out
to not be a problem - Brian went through the house like a small
whirlwind with his basket of cleaners, cloths, mop, squeegee and
industrial vacuum cleaner. Wally (aged 62) fronted up at 10.45 by which
time I had learned he had had a triple by-pass operation a year before
from which he hadn't fully recovered and was not allowed to do heavy or
prolonged work. He insisted on sweeping the deck and cleaning light
switches. They were both finished by 1pm and the house gleamed as we
waved them goodbye.

Sunday, 2pm, we were ready. Two of the cats were in their carry boxes
next door and Dinny the Terrier was fast asleep in our
not-so-long-ago-acquired 20 yr old Alfa Romeo parked across the road.
Two books, a newspaper and magazine looked lonely on the coffee table in
the living room where a fire burned brightly in the wood heater. Even
the dining table in its alcove was bereft of all its usual clutter,
having a single vase of flowers smack in the middle.

Home sweet home!

Vince arrived, wandered through the house, looked enquiringly at the
Mogatorium (a steel cage 12 feet long, 8 feet high and 8 feet wide which
the cats enter through the window in the booklined room), glanced at the
back garden, commented on one or two things and complimented us on our
obvious care for the place. I asked him what his intentions were
regarding the house and he was very blunt in his reply.

"I am not going to sell it and I won't put the rent up either, I think
you're paying me a fair price and you always pay on time," he said. We
breathed a heartfelt sigh of relief. Perhaps he heard us or felt a
lessening of tension because he added "I loved this place when I saw it.
It reminds me of a cottage in the country, that's why I bought it. If I
decide to buy a house somewhere else I shall use this one as equity. So
if you want, you may stay here as tenants as long as you wish." With
which he apologised for disturbing us, thanked us for allowing him to
see the house and went on his way, back to the wedding party.

(Well, we love it too but he said he wouldn't sell it to us either. So I
guess we'll stay here another two years or so until we can afford to buy
(or borrow the money to buy) a house like it in one of the older suburbs
near the university. Now that Robin has her doctorate (she graduates end
of July) that proposition may not be as hard as it seems at the moment.)

 Roger