TheBanyanTree: Living

Tom Smith deserthiker2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 6 18:34:26 PDT 2004

I've been pretty good about taking walks early
most mornings.  I feel very "alive" then,
especially when I explore a place I've never been
before.  On one of my latest walks, about a mile
on beyond the culvert on Chollas Creek, I was
following a path through dense brush that at
times was almost like a tunnel, when suddenly I
was in some "homeless" family's living room.  I was
glad there wasn't anyone around, but just in
case, I mentally rehearsed saying "excuse me," as
I walked on.  I took a picture of part of one
camp.  An abandoned baby carriage did a number on
my emotions.  It was hard to grasp raising an
infant there.

I wonder, when do you feel the most "alive?"

Tom
deserthiker2000 at yahoo.com