TheBanyanTree: Birds of a Feather

Mark Funk MARK at arboretum.umn.edu
Fri Jun 4 09:23:28 PDT 2004

This year at the Arboretum, where I work, we are having an exhibit of "non-traditional treehouses."  One of the featured designs is a human version of one of the oldest treehouses: a bird's nest.  The artist/designer's idea is to allow kids and their adults to experience what it must be like to be a bird, high up, surrounded and protected by a tree.

I was thinking about this bird house the other morning, while still lying in bed, and while listing to a chorus of bird song coming from outside my open window.  Bird nests, bird song, trees!  Remind you of anything?

It made me think of the Banyan Tree, filled with nesting "birds" of every shape, size, and character, each singing (telling) its own unique song.  Isn't that an eagle (bald?) up there?  And there a swan, dove, and nightingale.  I'm pretty sure there is a crow (woman) somewhere around here and aren't there a couple of loons somewhere in the tree.  I know there is an old buzzard or two and perhaps a few young chicks!  And how did that emu get up there?  Ah, and lets not forget the strutting pheasants and peacock.

And, although she never actually spent any time in the tree, I think I've even seen a angel (YB) flying up above, watching us all.  What color was that feather?

So all I can say is sing on fellow tree dwellers.  Add your beautiful notes to my noisy quack.  Join the chorus!

Mark, the wood duck, waddling away back to his nest.