TheBanyanTree: Another One....

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Wed Jun 2 08:03:47 PDT 2004

Journal Prompt

Wednesday June 2, 2004
12:00 am - 1:00 am
This event does not repeat.
Notes:
While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach
us what life is all about. ~Angela Schwindt What did your parents teach
you--and what did they learn from you?

My mother was the wisest woman I ever knew.  In her later years she had
dementia and Alzheimer's and it was sad to see her lose the brilliancy
that was once hers.

Of all the wisdom my mother passed on, the one that was MOST important
in regard to child rearing was NEVER to punish because you were angry or
irritated, but to always assess the situation and then teach for the
future from it.  She believed in disciplining us...NOT punishing us.
This in the days when spanking was the main form of discipline and
punishment in most families, put her ahead of her times.  She would
always point out the error of our ways and if we continued with the
behavior how it might affect us in our adulthood.  She made it
believable and used good strong examples that our young minds could
easily and readily equate with, then she altered our behavior by giving
us disciplinary tasks and exercises to teach the lesson practically and
allow it to make its mark in our minds.  We seldom forgot the lessons
and they were lessons we used our whole lives.

Yes, my mother was a very wise lady.  I wish in so many things I had
begun to listen to that wisdom earlier.  Not just in the area of child
rearing but in the area of relationships, men, drinking and drugs.  She
was wise for the future and now I know that wisdom and experience it
every day....better late than never, I guess!