TheBanyanTree: My Very Best Friend......

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Tue Jun 1 06:02:28 PDT 2004

I have some sad and worrisome news re Pugsey, my little Pug dog (really
stretched for that name didn't I?).  This dog is my bestest buddy and I
love him like crazy.....and on Friday evening, when I came home from
work,  I found him with a very troubled eye....all oozy and sticky and
not looking good at all.  It had a blue, blue cast and what looked like
a small hole in the eyeball.

I rushed him to the vet and it turns out he has an ulcerated cornea in
his right eye.  We  have been back and forth to the vets for the last
three days while dosing him with two different eye medicines.  The ulcer
 was VERY aggressive but as of Sunday seemed to be 'arrested,' according
to the Dr.  On Monday, Dr. Breslin said he thought he saw some
improvement (although I couldn't see it), so I am hopeful.

We are continuing with the treatment until Wednesday afternoon , when
the vet will see him again and make a determination re surgery.  Pugsey
also has a lump on his back right joint on his leg.  The vet feels quite
sure it is a fatty tumor but wants to remove it because it is on his
joint.  It does not seem to bother him much. Dr. Breslin doesn't want to
do anything about it yet until we see what happens with the eye as the
dog is 10 years old and he doesn't want to put him under anesthetic
twice.

Pugsey was very upset Saturday when I took him to the vets and was not
a very nice doggy.  He was very bitey and aggressive, which he usually
is not with Dr. Breslin.  After the examination, while Dr. Breslin
talked with me, he sat on my foot and cried and cried.  He was SO
pitiful!  But by Sunday and Monday, I think he understood that the Dr.
and I were trying to help him.  He has been very good about letting me
put the drops in his eyes (one is 1 time a day, but the other is 5 times
a day), even though he does not like it.  He never lets me out of his
sight and has stayed very close to me.  I am sure he is having a hard
time seeing out of the eye.  He is even letting Dr. B look in his eye
with the instrument as long as I hold him.  He trembles and shakes and
backs right into my chest as I hold him on the table but he's not
biting!  Thank, God!

Frubee (my Pomeranian mix) has been very troubled and nervous about
things.  He knows his pal is not well.  He stays close, too, and IF I do
happen to leave him, he has been acting out.  So poor Fru is spending a
lot of time in his crate.

So say a little prayer for my puppies.  I am very worried at this time.
 I want so much to SEE the improvement that Dr. Breslin sees.