TheBanyanTree: the things we take for granted....

Sachet sachet at iline.com
Thu Jul 8 20:46:35 PDT 2004

"Do you hear milk pouring into a glass?"

"Do you hear your footsteps as you walk?"

"Did you know that papers rustle VERY loudly?"

"I heard rain on the windshield for the first time today."

"I can hear Jolie purr."

All of which brought tears to my eyes as the reality, of what my husband
has missed hearing since infancy, hit home.

So far, my all time favorite is:

"Have our kids always been this loud??!?!?

I answered that one with a dramatic long-suffering sigh and a huge grin
as I replied..."Actually, they used to be much louder. Welcome to my
world, honey!"

We can now all watch a movie together without closed caption (which is
certainly a wonderfully helpful invention, but also highly annoying at
critical times). Sports programs (which really can't be appreciated with
closed caption... the roar of the crowd, the music, the energy...simply
can't be captured and conveyed by that tiny little box of words) are now
at a tolerable level. Before, Jim had to close the doors to the family
room, and even then we could hear the TV blasting all over the house. I
am ashamed to say that I wasn't the most patient of wives over the
years. Some days, (not all!) by the 3rd or 4th time I had to repeat
something, I was getting a wee bit testy. Now, he tells me to speak more
quietly. The audiologist told us that it would take the entire family
about a month to adjust. We're so used to speaking so loudly in his
presence, not having to do so, does indeed take some getting used to.

Jim contracted the mumps when he was a baby and suffered severe hearing
loss in both ears. In his small central Illinois town (his graduating
class totaled 45 students), it was easy for everyone to help him
compensate. He learned to fluently read lips and few people could tell
that he even had a hearing loss. His parents were told that there was
nothing available to help his hearing, because hearing aids would not be
beneficial due to the severity of the nerve damage.

When we got married in 1979, I asked him to see an audiologist. It was
sobering to see Jim's test results and very frustrating to once again be
told that there was nothing yet available that would help him.

Several years ago, when my father was struggling to make ends meet, and
it was such a challenge for my brother and I to help him pay for his
monthly prescriptions, I stumbled across a number for the VA Health Care
Benefits & Enrollment Program. (1-877-222-8387) I requested an
information packet and was a tad overwhelmed when the paperwork arrived.
The challenge of completing it was certainly worth it though! Within a
few months, my dad had a complete physical (which is how his lung cancer
was first discovered in its initial stages), and all his expensive
prescriptions were covered in full! They were even delivered right to
his door.

When Jim changed jobs a few years ago and while I was researching COBRA
options, temporary family insurance, etc., the VA once again came to
mind. Jim had served in Vietnam, came home with a Bronze Star and had
never ever utilized any of the benefits due him as a veteran. It had
never occurred to either one of us. So I signed him up, too. He was very
impressed with the medical team at the vast new clinic in Ft. Myers. I
was very happy to discover that they had a hearing department. I was
also very dismayed to discover that his appointment was for March, two
years in the future.

It didn't really faze Jim, because he honestly didn't think there was
anything to be done. Twice, during the past two years, they somehow
dropped him from the schedule and I discovered and fixed the oversight
each time. In January I was told that all hearing appointments were
canceled due to the VA's inability to meet the needs of the community.
Therefore, we were somewhat surprised to receive a letter from them a
few months ago, explaining that all hearing appointments had been
rescheduled with a local audiologist and that the VA would pay for the
visit. Jim went to the appointment to placate me, fully expecting to
once again be told that there were no options.

He was sooooooooooo excited when called me from the doctor's office!
Imagine our delight and total surprise when we found out that great
strides have been made in audiology and that Siemens makes hearing aids
that would help him!

The audiologist assured Jim that the VA would pay for them in full. They
even sent him 6 months worth of batteries and will automatically do so
twice a year. Jim is being so ultra careful with them, since his hearing
has become such a precious and amazing gift. It's been humbling and
amazing to realize the incredible amount of things he's never heard
before now.

So along with him being ultra careful, he asked me to check and see how
our insurance would cover their loss or damage. I called our insurance
agent who very nicely explained all the details and requested
documentation from the audiologist regarding the full replacement costs
for the hearing aids. Jim brought home the requested paperwork today,
after his two week check-up.

Well.

Jim says he feels an incredible sense of responsibility now that he
knows he's carrying almost $5000 worth of hearing aids around in his
ears. Wow! When the audiologist said top of the line, he wasn't kidding!

They are worth every single penny.  I LOVE that my husband can hear. I
am so incredibly, ecstatically happy for his sake. A whole new world has
been opened up to him. And I gotta tell ya.....the questions he's been
asking me about some of the things he's hearing for the first time are
verrrrrrrrry amusing. Endearingly so. He can even hear me whisper now.

He also says he now understands why I ask for (demand) some quiet time
all to myself some days.

:-)

...Sachet