TheBanyanTree: Calm Before the Storm

Theta Brentnall theta at garlic.com
Sat Jan 24 08:19:12 PST 2004

At 07:50 AM 1/24/04 -0600, Margaret wrote:

>Like the cardinals, I'm at the feeder fighting.  I want a new job and a car
>that's my own.

When I was young, I refused to do anything that might make people think of
me as an "hysterical female."  Now that I have some age and, hopefully,
wisdom, I have discovered the joys of tantrums.  If you still don't get any
action from the car dealership, consider standing in the middle of the
showroom and having a good, two-year-old-style screaming fit.  Well, on
reflection, I don't scream, I just talk VERY LOUDLY, in what my kids called
my best parade ground command voice.  The one that carries to the far edges
of a football field.  Best time would be maybe a Saturday, when there are
lots of shoppers in the show room.

~~I am TIRED of being jerked around by the repair department here.  You
have had my car now for TWO WEEKS and you haven't done ANYTHING.  I have
been infinitely patient and you have abused my patience past the breaking
point.  Do you think I am some helpless, feeble WOMAN you can just
ignore?  I have had ENOUGH!  I want my car fixed and I want it fixed
now!  I want you to pick up the tab for the rental car that I've had to pay
for because of your utter INCOMPETENCE and indifference.  If I'm not in my
car tomorrow, I'm calling VW headquarters, the local newspaper and tv
stations, the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney General's
office for fraud investigations.  ~~

By this time, the sales manger is running around you like the proverbial
headless chicken, trying to shush you; the salespeople are trying to herd
the customers to the lot outside (where they don't want to go - it's
freezing and the show's inside) and the general manager has been summoned
to resolve the crisis.  Now, don't let them herd you into a little room
somewhere - you still want the audience, but you are willing to lower your
voice.  Very clearly state the issues to the general manager:  you want
answers and a definitive, unmissable deadline to be driving your car off
the lot; you want the rental car paid for, and by the way, here's the total
out of your pocket to date; and since you don't like the rental car, you
want them to give you a free loaner for the duration of the repair
time.  You want a daily call from the repair manager, giving you the update
on the repairs.  And if the unmissable date is missed, you WILL be back to
discuss what they are going to do for you then.

Good luck with the car and the job search, Margaret!

Theta