TheBanyanTree: MARTINI*S MACK STYLE

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Fri Jan 16 12:24:36 PST 2004

MARTINI'S MACK STYLE

When I was a single Mom raising four children on my own and working
several jobs at a time to do so, I sometimes would treat myself to a
homemade martini.  Back in the day, I had no money (I raised four kids
and a cat on less than $6,000 a year) so it was a rare treat for me.

I had no fancy 'sets' or martini shakers or pitchers.  I had a
single martini glass I found at Good Will and a glass swizzle stick from
a crazy set my best friend gave me for Christmas (they had strange fish
and frogs and animals on the top of them).  I still have them as a
matter of fact.

I no longer stir my martinis, I shake them and I now have a collection
of glasses, shakers and martini pitchers from lead crystal to a vintage
Art Deco Bakelite and Chrome pitcher with matching glasses.   I only
drink them made with Beefeater Gin, which I now purchase in fifths but
back then it was a "nip" or two.  I drink still them "up" and I
still use four olives but now I put them on the side.  No use taking up
precious space in the glass.

I wrote the following recipe in 1996 thinking I might use it in a
"journal" type cookbook I was writing at the time (thus the homey
style).  I was also doing a food and cooking column for the South
Advocate, a local newspaper here in the Berkshires and thought I might
use it on one of my columns.  I never did.  I found the recipe, written
on my kids pink notebook paper, while going through old writing
notebooks in an old unused file cabinet.  Thought you all would get a
kick out of it.

Here goes...

I have recently come to enjoy the martini.  Ahhh!  What a treat!
It's as good a "let-down" after a hard day as having a cold
whiskey while soaking in a hot bath.  I like mine terribly chilled but
"up."  It took me a while to get it just right but finally it
came around.  Now it comes perfect every time.  Try it, you'll love
it!

EXTRA CRISPY-COLD MARTINI

1 quart size mason jar	Gin & White Vermouth
1 glass swizzle stick		Green olives (4)
7 ice cubes			Toothpick

Put martini glass and mason jar in freezer to chill (be sure it has a
good frost to it).

Note:  Gin should be kept in freezer also and Vermouth in the
refrigerator.

When jar is well-chilled take from freezer and add ice cubes, two
fingers of your favorite gin, and one finger of white vermouth.

Stir gently and let sit for one minute.

Meanwhile spear four green olives onto toothpick.  Take glass from
freezer and lay olives in glass.

Give martini one last swirl and strain over olives.

Take first sip immediately.

Enjoy the crispy chill of it.

Sharon A. Mack