TheBanyanTree: Quick Question

Gloria gloriab at voyager.net
Sat Feb 21 05:21:50 PST 2004

Two dollar bills in America?  Yes...yes we do have them!  I haven't seen one being circulated in quite some time.  The way I remember it, we first got them back in the 70's.  I have one around here somewhere that my boyfriend took down to the post office on the first day of issue and had it stamped.  They put a first class postage stamp on it and then used their ink stamp over top of that.  Guess that makes it more valuable down the road or something.  I thought it ruined it, and maybe it did?  Still don't know.  The gov't tried to get us using the bills again some time ago and printed some more.  We might have even had them years before the 70's.  I really don't know, but it seems like my Dad has one in his drawer.  For some reason, us Mercans just put them in our drawers for safe keeping. I have one of the newer ones in a drawer too. We don't spend them and I don't know why not.  They'd be pretty handy to use, if we'd just get in the habit of it.

The same goes for our $1 coin.  I have some of those in my safe keeping drawer too.  Old ones, new ones.  They're all there!

Gloria