TheBanyanTree: My, how time flies!

Peter Macinnis macinnis at websterpublishing.com
Tue Feb 17 21:11:20 PST 2004

From: "Tori Wilfred" <tori at neo.rr.com>
Cc: <TheBanyanTree at remsset.com>

> Wait, didn't Banyan Tree start not long after YB died?  She couldn't
> possibly have been gone *that* long!!!
>
> Wow...it seems like yesterday...

One way to establish the date is to go to www.websterworld.com, and
search on "Youngblood" -- you can see enough without needing to log
on.

In the encyclopedia game, one has a certain number of entries that are
there to catch info-thieves.  As you can't see the entry without
logging in, here is the full text -- anybody who flogged our text in
bulk would be caught out, and if you read carefully, you may see
why -- there is a certain degree of understatement.  I discussed the
matter with some of Youngblood's friends at the time, and the
consensus was that it would appeal to her nutty sense of humour.

*******

Nanci Youngblood Brasket (1946 - 99)

(September 1999)

Boeing and NASA staff were saddened to hear in September of the death
of one of their administrative and research staff, Nanci Brasket. She
will long be remembered for her sterling efforts in testing equipment
designed for women astronauts, and described in her hilarious research
report on the experience, which appears on her memorial Web site,
located at http://www.io.com/~stargazr/stories.html and look for
'pants'.

Renowned for her knowledge of recycled militaria, motorcycles and some
of the more unusual aspects of chemistry, Youngblood's Internet
friends have arranged for her ashes to be scattered at points across
the world on October 31.

******

So there you have it, as it appears on the official record.

I began in this game, hanging out at a campfire where a bloke carved
decoy pigs, a place where people at the fire used to be silently
hooked out, and battered, somewhere in the woods.  I never did get
hooked or battered, which has always made me wonder about the
batterer, but I became aware of what was going on, and a couple of
weeks after a number of people left that campfire for Spoon, somebody
must have wondered who would be left behind and lonely (or maybe
battered by default), and came and asked me across.

I may have the invitational message at home, maybe not.  I suspect it
may have been Paul, but I am so glad that whoever did so did so.

If you see what I mean -- and no, that is not a reference to the
International Stuttering Congress happening in Woofess's town at this
moment.  If you suffer from that impediment and take it seriously, my
apologies, but I am afraid the poor choice of title is at fault, not
my lack of empathy.

peter macinnis

Chief infoferret, fact fossicker, data tamer and word herder,
Webster's Encyclopedia CD-ROMs, Web resources and e-learning,
36-38 Wattle Road, Brookvale, NSW 2100, Australia
(02) 9939-5505, fax (02) 9939-8355, (mob) 0414-2.71828
International fax +61-2-9939-8355,  http://www.websterworld.com
macinnis at websterpublishing.com, petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au