TheBanyanTree: The non-cyber writing group

Red Pepper anita at redpepper.net.au
Sun Feb 22 01:18:12 PST 2004

Hi all,

In answer to a couple of questions about the writing group I
mentioned.it's formed from (mainly) people I know from work and social
meetings, who are keen to get some writing output happening and want
some external motivation. In fact, that's why I set it up - to force
myself to write by creating an obligation to others.  It also means I
can't afford to be lazy in my writing, as it will be subjected to the
scrutiny of others - a couple of whom are very skilled (and honest)
editors.

The vibe at the first two meetings has been great, enthusiastic and
supportive. We are all a bit nervous about putting forward our writing
for others' feedback, but the rule we have established is that, for the
first few meetings, we provide only positive feedback; no negative words
yet, even if they are meant to be constructive. We need to establish
trust first.  The key to the group is that we are providing a reason to
write regularly.

The most interesting thing has been what we all have in common, which is
probably common to all writers:

1.	We need an external force to motivate us to produce regularly.
2.	We are all, to varying degrees, quite self-conscious about our
creative work, and unsure about our actual talent.

One of my highest priorities was that the group be non-judgemental about
what each writer wants to produce. If one of us wants to produce a
thriller, so be it. A trashy airport novel - so be it.  A dense literary
door-stop - so be it.

I'm looking forward to being involved in the group as it moves and
changes, as I'm sure we'll have highs and lows, but at least we will be
learning a lot in the process.

Anita