TheBanyanTree: Trip Report

Russ Doden Russ at nogard4cd.com
Fri Feb 20 15:12:31 PST 2004

Some people had been asking how my trip went, so here is my "trip
report"

I started this in the late afternoon on Thursday I was waiting for the
printer to finish a pile of stuff I had sent it's way while I wait to to go to a
Chamber of Commerce function in a bit.   I'm at least half way
functional, which is much more than I could declare yesterday.  I think I
was running on adrenalin on Tuesday after my trip, and yesterday was a
"bottom out" day.

Anyhow, I promised a trip narrative so here it is.  "Fancy" and I headed
out on my trip to the home office of my new employer on last
Wednesday at about 6:00 AM central time.  (Fancy is my vehicle, a '99
Mistushibi Montero Sport with more whistles and bells than I have ever
had on a vehicle.) Oh-dark-o'clock it was.  At least it was overcast all
day so I wasn't driving into the sunrise when it did finally decide to poke
its bright face above the horizon.  The trip out to Jasper, GA was
uneventful.  I discovered Flying J has truck/auto stops about every 200
miles.  That made for a good target for stopping.  A chance to gas up,
stretch the old legs, and maybe get something to snack on as well as
making a potty stop.  The country was rather the same all the way
across until it finally started to get dark.  Well, you might know it started
to get dark about the time I started to get into some of the pretty country!
About an hour before I got to my destination I heard something tapping
on the windshield.  I thought it was kind of early in the season for bugs,
then realized it was raining!  I really couldn't tell because I had put a
heavy coat of Rainex on the windshield before I left so the rain was just
flying off!

The next day was spent in the home office of my new employer, getting
to know what all they could do, and getting to know the people there.  I
couldn't ask for a finer bunch of folks.  Each of them has a screw loose
someplace so I fit right in.

(Time to pack it in and go to the mini-trade show this evening.)

OK, it's the next morning now, so on with the report.  Thursday and
Friday morning were a blur of activity, and trying to cram a LOT of
information into my head.  By Friday afternoon though we were loading
the company trailer to go up to Charlotte, NC to set up our booth at the
NRB convention.  Another 5 hours of windshield time were involved
there, but after the drive from Oklahoma to Georgia, 5 hours was
nothing!  The drive was pretty, but seemingly slow!  The speed limit was
a bit slower than I was used to traveling!  I had also forgotten how close
together towns are the farther east a person goes!

Saturday was "interesting" in a kind of strange way.  You see, we were
setting up our booth at the NRB.  Now our company is very "non industry
specific".  We do compact disc duplication and replication, plus sell
supplies for this as well as equipment.  Equipment sales are big as well
as the services.  Also please remember I'm not exactly mainstream in
the spirituality department.  Being on the Toltec path as well as being a
shamanic apprentice plus being very "earth mother - sky father" oriented
puts me in the minority.  I only mention this because the NRB
convention is the National Religious Broadcasters convention.  It is
really a miss named convention.  It should be National Christian
Broadcasters convention as that is the only religion they allow to be
promoted.  Anyhow, there we were, working away with all these "big
names" in the Christian broadcasting industry walking around.  Well, I
had my medicine bag hanging off my belt.  I had forgotten about it as I
have been wearing it so long.  By accident we had parked my bosses
vehicle and trailer in the wrong area to unload.  One of the dock workers
came along and was being a bit nasty about us being where we were.  I
guess they were getting fed up with people thinking they could do what
ever they wanted, and I can't blame them considering the attitudes some
of the people at the convention had.  Anyhow, this big fellow came
walking over.  It turned out he was the foreman of the dock workers.  I
could see he had native american blood - somehow I "sense" things like
that at times.  I almost laughed when he came up and asked what the
problem was.  The other fellow told him we were parked in the area for
drayage and shouldn't be there.  About this time, the foreman nodded
toward my medicine bag and asked very quietly what nation I was part
of.  I looked him in the eye, and said "None. I am not of any of the four
directions, I am of the rainbow nation, I serve all"  He knew what I
meant, because each direction has a color associated with it, red, black,
yellow and white, which also corresponds to the four races!  He got this
huge smile and made some comment about being out of place at that
show and then showed us where we could park to unload.  It was right
next to the doorway we had wanted to be able to unload in.  NOBODY
was allowed there for some reason.  The foreman told his guys we were
"friends" and they seemed to understand that we were not to be given
any grief.  In fact they couldn't help us enough after that.  Everyone else
kept looking at us wondering why we got such preferential treatment as
we were setting up during the rest of the day!

The next day was a typical convention, with small time operators as well
as heavy hitters all seeking information.  Some of them I recognized
from fliting around the idjit screen at times.  My observation was that
many of the small broadcasters were really called to their post, but many
of the big names were in it for the money only.  This was kind of
disillusioning to me.  Talking to many of them, it was kind of strange to
hear them shrug off serving their ministry, focusing instead on profits,
needing to spend money to show lower net incomes, etc.  Just when you
were getting a little saddened by it all, someone would come along and
really care about how they could serve their listeners better.  By the end
of the day, I was one tired puppy though.

The next day I was scheduled to head home so I crashed early.  I was
up well before 6 AM eastern time and checked out of the hotel by 6
o'clock.  I had to chuckle about traveling in the dark again.  The drive
back was a repeat of the drive in for a while.  Traveling in the dark, just
trying to get the miles covered.  Then I got into Tennessee.  Much of the
drive was rather dark or foggy or in dim light.  Some light snow was
spiting here and there.  Then I got to the area between Knoxville and
Nashville.  They had a good snow storm the night before.  I was
concerned about the roads, but the roads were clear and dry, but oh my
the scenery!  The "big hills" (eastern mountains) were so beautiful with
their mantle of white.  Then I got into the higher areas and the snow was
heavy on the trees yet.  It was still balanced on each branch and limb.
As cars would drive past, every once in a while a load of snow would fall
from a branch in a cascade down the tree.  I couldn't stop and pull over
to take pictures, but would just point the camera out the window and
click.  When I get the film developed, I will find out if I got any decent
shots!

All too soon though I was coming off the hills, and into the lowlands.
The snow was behind me, and the rest of the trip was a carbon copy of
the trip out.  Hit the Flying J's which were my target for gas, food and
rest and then back on the road.  All of the cities I went through, with one
exception were barely noticed.  They all seemed to have efficient routes
to handle the Interstate 40 traffic.  The exception was Memphis.  That
city seemed like a bowl of traffic spaghetti!  I was glad to get out of there
both coming and going!  I finally pulled into my garage at home about
8:30 central time.  The round trip had covered 2200 miles, most of that
was driven in 2 1/2 days.  The one incident was that somewhere
between Little Rock and Fort Smith, I got hit with a paintball.  A big blue
splotch on the drivers side door of "Fancy".  I hope it will come off with
rubbing compound and wax!  She doesn't like that blemish on her!

My condo is a small place and often rather cluttered, but I don't think any
place ever looked, felt, or smelled so welcome as walking back into my
own little place!  As they say "Be it ever so humble, there is no place like
home!".

The rest of this week has been a rush of one event after another as well
as getting clients taken care of.  I'm ready for a weekend!  Like I told
someone the other day, the last two weeks feel like it went Monday,
Tuesday, Wednesday, Wednesday, Wednesday, Wednesday,
Wednesday, Wednesday, Wednesday.  I'm ready for Saturday!

It is good to be back, even if I did have over 120 messages
this morning!

Peace,
Russ