TheBanyanTree: Time Flies...

pat.martin pat.martin at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 18 08:39:54 PST 2004

I wasn't part of the Spoon but I joined the Banyan Tree after hearing about
it from Tree member, Tom S, from San Diego.  I can't recall exactly when I
joined, but I've been around for at least three of the Tree's four years.

When I first subscribed, I was living in a new community with few friends,
my teenaged daughter was spreading her wings, and my husband was on a
six-month assignment in England.  I was lonely, but had decided that chat
rooms weren't for me.  Yet, I wanted to stay connected with others,
particularly other writers.

Disillusioned after my chatroom experiences, I was suspicious of Tree males
initially, but soon discovered that a different sort of man lingered in the
Tree's branches:  the type of man who was not using the Tree as a venue to
initiate romantic relationships.  Immediately I felt comfortable.  Tree
members were friendly, kind and caring.  More exciting, many of them
commented on the stories I sent in and encouraged me to write more.  Just
what I needed!

Over the years, I have made several friends through the Tree including some
'kindred spirits'.  To date, I have never met any of them in person, but I
hope to change that one day.

A toast to the Tree!  May its life be long; may the stories never run out!

Pat