TheBanyanTree: SENSES FOR RENT

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Wed Dec 8 06:52:39 PST 2004

Prompt~12/4/04 (From my writing workshop)

Just thought I'd share....

If you able to lend one of your five senses to a person born without,
which one would you give? What would you forgo so another could
experience?

********************************

SENSES FOR RENT...

Now that I am growing older and my eyes are failing and my hearing is
not much good anymore, I find that I use my sense of smell more and
more.  I love the smell of the woods after a spring rain, and the smell
of fresh laundered sheets on the bed.  I love the smell of my son's
cologne as he comes down the stairs in the morning or into my office
after his early classes.  I love the smell of bread or cookies baking in
the oven and the smell of hot chocolate in the winter time as I curl up
with a good book.  Coffee in the morning, bacon or eggs set my nostrils
to the air as I breath in the luscious scents and prepare for my day.  A
yummy casserole or a heavenly turkey filled with Dad's homemade stuffing
are smells that bring back wonderful family gatherings and spur joyful
holiday memories.

But most of all I love the baby's head after shampooing it with
Johnson's No Tears Shampoo and I love his body smell after a warm bath
and he's all lotion-ed up and powdered.  I love pulling him close and
smelling his cotton "T" and his flannel pajamas....so, I think, when all
is said and done....I would lend my sense of smell.