TheBanyanTree: Up At Dawn

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Aug 27 07:16:20 PDT 2004

Mornings are the best part of the day. Actually, they start before dawn, when
the sky is just light enough to see the faint outline of the window in a dark
room. That's when I wake.

The neighbor's rooster crows when I am finishing my first cup of coffee and
putting on my shoes, my outside shoes, as opposed to those I wear in the house.
The horses are already waiting for breakfast. The pigs are already squabbling
over food they have yet to receive.

The horses get oats and a feed mix. The pigs get their ration from the feed
store, plus "stuff" from the box I get from the local produce stand: overripe
cantalopes and tomatoes, soft cucumbers and squash, wrinkly fruit.  It's a sort
of therapy to mush my hands around, removing seeds, breaking large pieces
into small pieces, making slop out of it all.

"Goat" the goat comes to see what's going on, and he dances around,
pretending he's going to butt me if I don't hurry and get his breakfast. He better be
pretending. He's like a deer, bounding about, flying to the top of his picnic
table, the only goat in the county with his own picnic table, and dancing
toward me again. Luckily he has no horns.

The pigs fight for real over the slop, though there's plenty. The horses
finish their morning grain and get turned out into the pasture, where they gallop
en-herd around the pond. The sandhill cranes take flight with much squawking,
settling down again when they realize it's only the horses. Small ones, at
that.

The goat finds his food set out on the picnic table, so he can protect it
from the greedy younger horses. The pigs settle down to some serious gobbling and
shlurping.

I stand a moment to watch the herd of miniature horses race around the pond
again as the sun rises, turning them all to gold.

NancyLee