TheBanyanTree: NORTHERN LIGHTS

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Wed Apr 28 20:49:05 PDT 2004

April 28/29  04

There still is a lot of traffic on Midnight Pass Road. It's named for
Midnight Pass, the free-running sea-opening between this island and the next. For
decades. it ebbed and flowed with the tides, cleansing the bay waters, providing
boat access to the inland waterway (the bays) from the Gulf.  In 1983, the
pass, (as passes often do) started to migrate. It's Nature's Way, though a couple
of home owners took issue with that, since their homes threatened to be
washed into the Gulf. They asked for and received permission from the Corps of
Engineers, a booby bunch as I ever heard. They stopped the pass migration with
bull-dozers.  Mother Nature got irked, and closed the pass altogether, resulting
in an end of boat access, the natural flushing of the bay, and resultant nasty
pollution of the bay waters.  A group filed suit to reopen the pass, to no
avail. It cost too much, the powers said, and there was no quarentee the pass
would stay put once reopened.

Meanwhile, the two houses threatened fell into the sea anyway, though natural
beach erosion. The public outcry concerning the pass closure stoppped any new
permits being granted to protect them.

Then came the group's apparent success is getting the Corp of Engineers into
considering reopening the pass. Then comes another group what said, leave it
be, Nature wanted it closed, you're going to ruin the new environment of the
bay, blah blah blah. Seems little fishes are being borned in the sludgy, weedy
waters (no one can eat them, however, since they're full of mercury.)

The beach is washed out to sea, condos and homes are threatened, rock berms
and sea walls are erected to try to stop the erosion. Rocks mean there are no
beaches there. People who used to walk the beach can no longer find passage
there. In essence, the public beaches are private, via piles of boulders.

Midnight Pass wants to make passage to the bay.  It will do it one way or
another, damned be the homes and towering condos in the way.   It might just
decide to come through where my house stands. Only the next hurricane can tell.

I think I'll keep in touch with my friends living inland, on hills.

NancyLee