TheBanyanTree: NORTHERN LIGHTS

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Thu Apr 8 07:35:19 PDT 2004

4 8 04

This cool, clear morning, I took the dogs out as the eastern sky glowed
peach. For a moment, I thought it was cloudy, that it might rain later. Then I saw
the moon, high and half-faced, caught in the treetops, and knew it would be
another perfect day.

The sun and the moon together this month, the sun chasing the late-rising
moon into the new day.

I think Ling caught the scent of the possums in the dewy grass, for she
lingered and snorted at a few places where I had seen them wander. There’s a family
living in the woods next door, an adult and two smaller, careless ones. The
adult was wary of my presence , but the little ones had their own uncaring
agenda and toddled on their way and on their own adventure without a look in my
direction.

There are a lot of dogs barking this morning. Ling, of course, who has to
communicate with every passing dog, plus Esko, the Australian Shepherd across the
way, and Paul and Alex’s three: Remy, the ancient Beagle, Wex their Golden
Retriever, he’s the one with the big bark, and the newest, a Beagle puppy. The
beagles don’t bark, of course, but lift their voices in the old Beagle trill.
And, there are always dogs in the rental property. Last month were two
middle-aged Golden Retrievers, chubby and waddling. This month, a smaller, more lively
critter. A sort of hairy terrier type with a quick, tenor chatter. Right now,
they are all clearing their throats as the early sunburn-seekers head for the
beach. It matter not if they have seen those same folks every day along, the
dogs dash out and bark them on their way each time they pass.

The day begins. I have my coffee and fry up a plantain. I have so much to do
today. I am still scraping and touching up the flaked paint on the house
exterior. I had to buy new paint. The old stuff, stored a few years in the garage,
was the consistency of pudding.

I touch up the house, clean out a drawer or two, bag things for the Goodwill
or garbage. I still have too much stuff for the new place. Maybe I hope that
closets will magically appear, space open up, when I bring my too-many
possessions out there.

I get this house ready for sale. I walk the yard., look intently at each
ancient oak tree, study the pond and the millions of minnows. I remember just when
I planted the banana trees that still struggle to grow, and the old
grapefruit that is loaded with new fruit that I will not pick upon ripening. I will be
gone by then.

I have loved this place and its peace. I listen for the song of the surf and
whisper of breeze in the Spanish moss. It has been a haven for me. I do
believe it has saved my life on days when things seemed bleakest. I will miss this
place, and hate to leave it.

Yet, I know I must move on. A few friends and others ask how I can bear to
leave here. I explain that it is becoming too costly to stay, the taxes, the
fact that most of my assets are tied up in this single plot of ground. I’ll miss
it more than I could ever explain, but its time to go. I need to start a new
life, in a smaller, more sensible place.

I know there are other places where I can find the peace I need. I have seen
one or two, one, a citrus grove and a charming log home. Another, ten acres of
gossiping pines and a cute house with promise. I could be happy there. I love
the country, the silence, the birds and the vistas and the land.

I guess the peace I find is within me rather than in any single place. I know
my troubles and hurts follow me no matter where I go, so must my peace. My
sister, Beth, and I used to share a single quote: “No matter where I go, there I
am.”

That's still true.

NancyLee