TheBanyanTree: If you say so

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Tue Apr 20 01:13:29 PDT 2004

Monday April 19, 2004

IF YOU SAY SO

To Spilsby this morning, to fetch linctus, lemons and honey for Graham, who
has now developed a full-scale summer cough. One of those irritating, dry
coughs that gets worse before it gets better and hangs around for so long
you feel a little lost when you finally realize it's gone.

"Put a slug of rum in it, why don't you," I said as he sipped hot lemon and
honey.

"Don't like rum."

"Whiskey, then."

"Nope."

"I got brandy..."

"Nope. Just leave me be."

I tell ya. Some people just won't be helped. Still, while he's fighting
he's winning. It's when you don't fight you lose. Quantum, that is.

Monday is market day in Spilsby, when the town square reverts from use as a
car park to an open air market, with stalls selling local produce and tat
of all kinds. Antique shops of the junk tendency move small stuff out onto
the pavement, and every corner has a display of goods for sale, from
dog-eared paperbacks to brass candelabra. The result is a truly interesting
bustle, lasting from eight in the morning until somewhere around two in the
afternoon. It's fun, if you have time to wander and take it all in. But
finding a parking space within easy walking distance of the centre is close
to impossible. I was obliged to park some little way out and trudge through
to the chemist's shop, about as far as I can comfortably walk without
taking a rest. The friendly local parking warden had been active just
before I arrived, and penalty notices were splattered on the windscreens of
all the cars and vans that were parked illegally, to my mild amusement. To
my much greater amusement I passed five cars parked in disabled parking
bays without displaying a badge, and each of them had a yellow notice stuck
on its window and a forty pound fine to pay. Well, when you're plodding
along with your stick and your wonky knees, walking further on hard
pavements than you ought, you're entitled to direct some small spite at the
drivers who've stolen your space, aren't you? No, of course you're not.
There's never any justification for spite, even of the smaller kind.
Doesn't stop you feeling it, though, not at the time, it doesn't.

I accomplished my errands and returned to the car to find I'd left the door
unlocked and the keys in the ignition. No harm done but it gave me a nasty
turn. "Serve me right for that bit of spite," I muttered, and hastened away
on sunny roads, heading for home.

The linctus is helping, as is the lemon and honey, and there are now long
periods when the cough is absent. In the evening I persuaded him to take a
couple of glasses of Pernod in fresh orange juice.

"Not sure I really want this," he said.

"Nonsense. It's got liquorice and aniseed in it. Both of them good for coughs."

"If you say so."

--

John Bailey   Lincolnshire, England

journal of a writing man: