TheBanyanTree: The Legend

R J Fernalld srfern at verizon.net
Wed Apr 7 22:58:58 PDT 2004

I created this little story for a small member of my family one Easter, and
it became a family tradition that it be told to the "little ones" each year.

A month before my mother passed away she asked me to someday write it in
story form, and to remember to share it with others. In her memory, I share
it with you....I hope you enjoy it.

The Legend of The Easter Bunny

When I was young the Easter holiday meant a new dress for church, a big ham
for dinner, egg hunts and Easter baskets full of candy. It wasn't until my
brother's child came to me one year with a question, that I discovered
something more of Easter's beauty.

"Aunt B? How come the Easter Bunny brings eggs on Easter?"

Her five year old eyes were bright with curiosity and confidence in my
ability to answer. I was somehow compelled to tell a story only Love could
have given me...

"In the days when the people near Galilee were listening to a new rabbi talk
about forgiveness and that God's Kingdom is a place that lives inside us,
there was a small village near the lake that was very unhappy.

You see...there were no children in this village of very poor people. For
many years these men and women had wanted to be parents. They had prayed and
prayed, but long ago had stopped believing that God would answer.

This new rabbi had told the crowds of people many great things about God's
love. At the very edges of these crowds the animals too had heard his words.
They knew this man was one of the special humans who understood a bigger
idea of God...an idea that included them as well...and they loved to listen.

One little animal, especially was excited by the rabbi's words. He was a
very small rabbit and he happened to live near this sad village that had no
children.

He one day decided to believe FOR the sad people. He decided to ask this
forgiving god for a miracle.

'I am just a scruffy bunny, Rabbit Maker, but I know, as the rabbi says, you
will answer me if I believe. Please help these sad people who have no
children? My kind always has LOTS of babies...lots and lots. Could you
please let them have lots and lots too? Thank you, Rabbit Maker'.

His prayer for the people had been so sweet, and he was believing SO hard,
God answered him. He gave the little village a miracle, and whispered in the
bunny's ear to give the people a sign that the miracle would come.

The bunny and his friends gathered some unhatched eggs, and painted pretty
designs on them. Eggs mean new life, and this was to be a celebration of the
promise of new life! The believing bunny put a painted egg in each of the
huts of the sad people as a sign. God's sign cheered the people, and in time
the village was noisy with the sounds of happy children.

It became a tradition that each spring, the time of the year that the rabbi
had died, (and like a miracle came alive again, they say), the families
painted eggs and hid them as a game for the children to find. The Believing
Bunny comes to us with painted eggs again every year so that we too, can
remember to believe.

And that is the Legend of The Easter Bunny."

Written by R J Fernalld
Copyright 2001-2004
Reprint by permission only

A friend is someone who will bail you out of jail.
A best friend is the one sitting beside you saying,
'Damn that was fun.'