TheBanyanTree: Fruit Loop!

Jan Denke j_denke at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 6 15:36:22 PDT 2004

I haven't submitted anything to the Tree in like forever so don't any of you
pass out from shock!

This story is pretty much about my little Fruit Loop, who is a small parrot
from South America called a white bellied caique (pronounced ki-eek)...This
little guy has been sharing my life with me for almost 4 years now...

Caiques are fairly new to the pet maket so I haven't been able to find much
printed material on caiques, but Fruit Loop certainly has been a joy to have
around...I'm guessing that caiques like to burrow in the wild because Fruit
Loop likes to burrow down the neck of my shirt...Then he rolls himself up
into a little feather ball and lays on his side on my chest...He'll use one
of his little feet to massage his head, and if I reach under my shirt to pet
him, he'll lift his little wing so I can give him some scritches under
there...He's so cute!

I've been fighting a head and chest cold the last few days...Earlier today
we were all comfy in my chair...He was snuggled up under my shirt, and I was
watching a program on Animal Planet...I got tired of my nose being all
stopped up so I grabbed my nasal spray and gave myself a good hefty shot of
it up my stuffed up nostril...Then I held the other nostril shut so I could
suck the nasal spray up into my sinuses on the plugged up side...Fruit Loop
imitated the sound of me trying to get some air up that side of my nose, and
I started giggling out loud...So the little goof ball giggled back at me! He
learned how to imitate my giggle a long time ago...He also imitates me when
I belch...Anyway, when he giggled back at me, I almost fell out of my chair
laughing...It was just so funny!

Sometimes when he's in a really cuddly mood, he'll lay on his side in my
hand and let me kiss and snuzzle him all over his little body...He even
lifts his little wing so I can kiss and snuzzle him under there, too! I love
the way he smells...He doesn't have a normal feather odor about him...I
don't know if this smell is specific for his species or if it has more to do
with the pelleted diet that I have him on...Whatever it is, he's such a joy
to have around in every way!

How could I not love this little ball of feathers who gives me so much joy,
comfort and companionship?!

Hugs,
Jan