TheBanyanTree: Yikes! to Mike's spider tale!!!

JMoney PJMoney at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 2 02:33:17 PDT 2003

I had one once.  It was absolutely ginormous.  A monstrous, hideous,
horrible, nasty hunstman.  The sort that have a diameter of about 10cm
(furry brown legs included) and an abdomen the size of 20c piece.  The sort
that when you spray them with at least half a can of insecticide actually
make thudding noises as they flop about and take ages and ages to die and
cease being a threat.

That great disgusting scary thing dropped down slowly from the rear vision
mirror.  I saw a movement from the corner of my eye.  I looked, recognised
the shape and nearly crashed the car while driving up Mt Ousley one Friday
or Saturday evening when half the inhabitants of the 'Gong seemed to be on
their way to fun times in the really big smoke.  My exit from the vehicle
was certainly dangerous and probably hilarious too.  I can't remember very
well.  That's due, no doubt, to the effects of panic on whatever process it
is that lays down memory.  Or maybe it's creeping old age.

I do, however, remember that it was a man who stopped his car and came to my
assistance.  Slim young females standing on the side of the road,
practically weeping with fright, behind a crazily parked car with its
driver's side door hanging open do, I believe, arouse male protective
instincts more often than female protective instincts.  Yes.  I think I
would have had to have been at least 20 years younger than I was then (or 20
years older than I am now) to have managed the latter.  And then what?  Most
likely there would have been two gibbering females staring wide-eyed and
fearful, from a distance, into the dark recesses of the car.  But the man
fixed it for me.  Nice man.  I like nice men.

Janice