TheBanyanTree: In the morning

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Tue Sep 2 01:47:42 PDT 2003

Monday September 1, 2003

IN THE MORNING

We almost always start our days by exchanging greetings, and then: 'How are
you today?' or 'Are you alright?', checking to see how the night went and
how the day begins. Mostly the response is positive and in the affirmative.
Now and again, when the grumpy button has been left pressed in, or the
night went poorly, the classic answer comes: 'Ask me when I'm awake.' Then,
after a mug of good coffee and delicious hot toast, the same question is
asked, and the proper answer given: 'I'm fine. How are you?

Either variation is a great way to start the day. Especially when you find
a poem and make a picture to fit:

         EVERYONE KNOWS THIS

         How am I feeling this morning?
         Or is it too early to say?