TheBanyanTree: A maroon for remembrance

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Thu Sep 11 03:24:06 PDT 2003

Wednesday September 10, 2003

A MAROON FOR REMEMBRANCE

We did good, silly, fun stuff today, and I may well write it up later. When
I sat down to my desk this evening, though, my thoughts went off a more
serious path, partly in reaction to TV and radio newscasts but mostly from
the feeling that there are so many of my friends, today and tomorrow, who
are hurting in the worst possible way:

         A MAROON FOR REMEMBRANCE

         Turn off the news, don't answer the phone,
         if anyone calls, just say I'm not home.

         I don't need comment or lectures on wars
         from a lip-glossed floosie with wings in her drawers.

         I don't need hushed whispers from close by Ground Zero
         from a slick newsroom hack who thinks he's a hero.

         I don't need a failed academic in Brook Brothers shirting
         using clever stock phrases to explain why I'm hurting.

         I don't need film shots endlessly looping, I just need flowers,
         to help fill the hole where once stood Twin Towers.

         --John Bailey,  Carmarthenshire, September 2003

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales
journal of a writing man