TheBanyanTree: All those homesteaders can't be wrong

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Mon Sep 8 01:24:45 PDT 2003

Sunday September 7, 2003

ALL THOSE HOMESTEADERS CAN'T BE WRONG

We've been a little alarmed here to find that, as the season changes,
electric power supplies here in South Wales are proving to be less than
totally reliable. We've experienced a fair number of momentary cuts, and
short dips in voltage, and common sense dictates that if there are
irregularities you can see there are more, probably far more, that you can't.

Electronic equipment doesn't like irregular power supplies, so it's time to
look at surge protectors for things like telephones and TV sets, the hi-fi,
the radio, and the fridge-freezer.  Not to forget the heating controller.
And, of course, the computer. In the case of the latter, we're leaning
towards obtaining an intelligent UPS so that Windows can shut the thing
down in an orderly fashion in the event of a cut.

Surge protectors are no problem. They are available everywhere, even in the
supermarkets, cheap enough to pick up alongside the weekly groceries.

The choice of a UPS needs rather more care. I'm not sure that we need to go
for anything too grand, just enough to keep the computer going long enough
to shut down. Graham, more inclined to think in homesteading terms, feels
we should go one step further and choose equipment which can properly
regulate the power not only from the main supply but also from a generator
in case we are cut off for any length of time. I suspect at least some of
his argument is based on his long-held desire to have a little petrol
generator. He's always wanted a little petrol generator, just in case.

"So," I argued. "If the power is cut, the computer won't work. It's no big
deal. I can manage perfectly well without a computer."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah. I did alright for the three months when we lived in the caravan."

"That was different."

"How different?"

"Well," he said. "We chose to be without a computer in the caravan, and
planned for it. You don't get the choice when they pull the plug at the
power station."

"True."

"Well, then. Stop arguing and leave me to research UPSs."

I know my place. I know when I've lost an argument, and I give in as
gracefully as I can, usually making a nice pot of tea on the way.

Anyway, today we went on a tour of the local electronics stores, looking
for the particular make of UPS that Graham has settled on. Maplin and PC
World only stock the kind he really didn't want. Dixons XL, the newest and
glitziest of the local stores, by its own claim at the forefront of
technology, had never heard of a UPS of any kind, in spite of selling
computers of all flavours, shapes and sizes.

"A UPS?  What's that, then?" the assistotron asked.

"It switches in when the power fails, and keeps your computer going,"
Graham replied.

"That's clever. Is it something very new, then?"

"No, they've been around as long as there's been computers."

"Oh. Well, we don't stock them, anyway."

It made a grand change for me, did that, witnessing Graham struggling with
the modern retail experience. It's usually my job, struggling with the
modern retail experience. I was just settling in for a good revel when I
caught sight of his face. Whoops. Forget the revelry, it was time for a bit
of modern retail therapy.

"Why don't we go and get a nice cup of coffee?" I suggested. "We're wasting
our time here."

"Good thinking."

Sipping appreciatively at my double Espresso, I asked: "What do we do now,
then? Mail order?"

"It'll have to be. I did want to see one before we buy, though."

"Not to worry. I'm sure it'll be alright. All those homesteaders can't be
wrong."

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales
journal of a writing man