TheBanyanTree: Religion--a Story

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 29 17:29:49 PST 2003

So right is Julie, as usual.  Man, as a prior member of the much-loved Spoon
list and a founding member of the Tree (there's still a lot of us here, so
cool) I have seen some really ugly business.  Yep.  Right here in
harmonyville.  We have had some ugly times.  Usually some (man, have I been in
this place) totally unaware person blithley writes something pertaining to
their life and another person reads it as a slap in their face.  It never
ceases to amaze me that the words we pound with tips of fingers on an
impersonal keyboard can have such an impact on someone else, most especially
when it is so unintentional as just telling a tale about ourselves.

What I love is that it passes.  I even see a lot of maturity as a group in the
handling of this latest broohaha by the responses.  I have read each one with
great interest and beamed to read that no one has ever responded to RJ writing
a  non-Christian or anti-Christian view with words of anger.  I am proud to be
in the Christian group of folks hanging out here.  It's a great place to kick
back and read a great tale and perhaps even get to experience another point of
view.  I don't have to agree with it but I do not resent being presented with
it as long as it adheres to the guidlines by which we are all bound.  No great
debate need take place, no posturing on who knows the most about the Bible and
sundry other writings and teachings.  Just a little tolerance for our fellow
tree dwellers as taught by MLK, Jr., Ghandi, Mother Theresa and, yes, JC.

Maria