TheBanyanTree: Religious writings

A. Christopher Hammon chris at oates.org
Wed Oct 29 05:02:32 PST 2003

Well spoken, R.J.

I have delighted in being part of the Tree (and the Spoon prior to that)
because it is a community of folks sharing stories that are authentic to
themselves. For many here, their religion, whatever flavor that happens
to be, is a part of their life story. And I have delighted in their
experience and story whether I happen to agree with their perspective or
not. I would miss the genuineness of their stories if that element were
discouraged, just as I would miss the genuineness of our stories if
including sexual elements, for example, were discouraged.

Now, if someone wants to bring out the "should" word -- as in "we have a
wonderful plan for your life" -- to suggest what they think I "should"
do, think, believe, or avoid; then that is a different matter. Whether
it has to do with religion or anything else, "should" words shake my
branch and disturb my reading/writing. I find that to be pretty rare
around the Tree, though.

And yes, I know .... I need to get back to writing stories. My
dissertation is due December 1 and then I'll have my life back again.

Cheers for a delightful spring/autumn day,
Chris