TheBanyanTree: I forgot to ask for my sweetie

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Thu Oct 23 01:58:13 PDT 2003

Wednesday October 22, 2003

I FORGOT TO ASK FOR MY SWEETIE

"Are you in an at risk group?" the nurse with the needle asked.

"Yup," I said. "Cardiac problems and recurrent bronchitis."

"Sounds like you're going for the full set," smiled the nurse with the pen
and the record forms.

"I shall do my best."

So I pulled off my top to bare my upper arm for the annual 'flu jab, which
arrived before I'd had time to blink. Very skilful, totally painless. I was
just going to compliment her when she exclaimed, dabbing the pin-prick with
a pad of astringent,  "Oh, you're a bleeder!"

"Well, it's good to know there's still some in there," I quipped.

"Do you take aspirin or warfarin?"

"One aspirin a day."

"That's it then. Thins your blood nicely, does that, and helps prevent
clotting. You've probably noticed that cuts take longer to heal?"

"Well, yes, since you mention it."

And off I trotted into the cold afternoon afternoon air, smiling broadly. I
much prefer this good-humoured, human approach to medical care than the way
it was done in Somerset, with a huge, shuffling line of grey-haired folks
moving closer and closer to their brief and somewhat impersonal encounter
with the needle.

So far as I can work it out this was my seventeenth consecutive annual 'flu
jab and I'm grateful for every one of them, even the early ones that would
knock me down with a mild fever for twenty-four hours afterwards. I
remember what it's like when you get the real, no holds barred 'flu, and
it's no fun at all.

When I got home Graham asked, "How did it go?"

"Oh, fine. Much nicer than the last place. Only one thing missing."

"What's that, then?"

"I forgot to ask for my sweetie."

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales