TheBanyanTree: The mighty oak

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Mon Oct 13 02:26:33 PDT 2003

Sunday October 12, 2003

THE MIGHTY OAK

The acorns have been falling steadily all week, to the extent that they
need sweeping up and clearing every other day. If this task is neglected
then the drive and path quickly come to resemble a forest floor, all soft
and comforting underfoot. Anyone who knows me will not be at all surprised
to hear that I prefer it that way. A front door that opened onto a forest
floor would be a constant delight to me; one that opens onto concrete slabs
and ashphalt is a utility only. The one lets in the sights, sounds and
smells of Nature. The other is a way out, no more, and if anything blows in
when it is open it is road dust and discarded sweet wrappers.

My preference is of course completely out of place, so the mess has to
cleared. I was a little shocked to learn of the puzzlement of my neighbours
at the sudden massive fall of acorns. "It's never done that before," I've
been told. Well, it has, of course, but oak trees don't produce huge
quantities of acorns every year and these house have only been here for two
or three years--no more than a couple of breaths in the life of an English oak.

So far as I understand it, the oak only produces and ripens acorns when and
if weather conditions have allowed it to build up sufficient reserves
during the growing season. An oak tree's primary aim is to ensure its own
survival and if there is a cold spring or an unsuitable early summer then
it puts off growing acorns until a more favourable season comes along. And
if the weather turns hostile at any stage while the acorns are forming and
ripening then the tree will cut off food supplies to them so that they
wither and drop away there and then.

It's not an all or nothing thing of course, and sometimes only one branch
or a few clusters of acorns will be shed in this way. The same applies to
leaves and small growth. If they are severely afflicted with disease or by
pests then they get dropped off during the growing season, too. That's why
an oak tree is always surrounded by a field of discarded twigs and leaves,
right through the summer.

The discarded stuff doesn't go to waste, of course, not in a normal
situation. Rather, it moulds down, passing nutrition back into the soil
and, most particularly, providing a good, nurturing environment for the
bacteria, fungii, insects, birds and grazing mammals that cooperate with
the oak tree throughout its life. In this way an oak tree can live for
hundreds of years, until it hollows out and forms a small grove of what
appears to be a ring of separate trees. In fact, I can't recall any account
of an oak tree actually dying from old age; it may be that they go on and
on, changing form and surviving until some accident destroys them.

You need to take a long term view to get to know an individual oak tree and
I'm sad that I shall not be living here in this house to observe the one in
our garden for more than a short time. You do need to be realistic about
your friendship with trees, though. The oak tree you salute today is likely
to outlive you many times over.

Some people find that to be a daunting thought; to me it's an affirmation
that life goes on, endlessly cycling and adapting. My short ride may only
be a small part but it is nonetheless a unit of something greater. It's
entirely up to me if that unit is to be a worthwhile, contributory part or
if, like the unwanted acorns, I am to be discarded before I am ripe.

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales
journal of a writing man