TheBanyanTree: Mixing

Jena Norton eudora at inreach.com
Sat Nov 22 05:59:43 PST 2003

Hi, Tom. I work with HIGH energy kids, AKA attention deficit
disorder/hyperactive disorder. While some kids are just very active, others
really do bounce off the walls and drain those around them. They also drive
teachers and parents nuts! (I'm a teacher).

You might want to talk to your son about his son-to-be and find out if an
evaluation has ever been done by a reputable pediatric neurologist to see if
the boy is truly ADD/HD. Sometimes, it's poor parenting and/or an active,
bright, inquisitive child. Other times it's  a disorder than can affect a
child socially and educationally, even into adulthood. People shudder at the
thought of "drugging" these children, but it's not that. These kids' brains
can't filter out and/or ignore all the distractions and stimulations in the
environment. The medications help their brains to do this. Sometimes it
takes several tries and a few months to get the right drug and the right
dosage for a child.

These kids are often very impulsive and get in trouble because they say and
do things before their brain can sort out the proper response. They also
disrupt the class with questions and comments because they were off on their
own interior tangent when directions were given.

Counseling also helps. These kids can be taught to self-monitor and use
relaxation techniques to slow their brains and responses down.

I have 3 students in my class right now that need medical attention because
their behavior is not only impacting their education, but that of the class
as a whole. Not to mention the teacher's and aide's frayed nerves. One is so
disruptive because of low impulse control that the other students comment on
how great it is when he's absent.

If this kid is just high-energy, be sure to have lots of hands-on stuff for
him to do when you're doing your grandpa thing. Otherwise, he'll do HIS
hands-on things and that could be extremely disconcerting for you!

Jena, Full Moon Warrior Princess