TheBanyanTree: Re: Survival of the fittest

Mark Funk MARK at arboretum.umn.edu
Mon Nov 10 11:50:58 PST 2003

This thread about deteriorating health coincidentally comes at a time when I'm contemplating my own deteriorating physical condition.  I was blessed with good health for 50+ years without any major illnesses or trips to the hospital.  But about 5 years ago it seems I took the wrong turn and fell off the health cliff.  I spent about two months in the hospital in 1998, near death at one point, and I have contracted a seemingly growing list of chronic problems since then.  I won't bore you with the details.

Now I am again contemplating major surgery, which may relieve some of these conditions but, on the other hand, the conditions may make surgery more complicated.  As part of my preparations, my doctor gave me a copy of a "Health Care Directive," often called a "Living Will," and suggested I fill it out.  I did.

The document guides you to making decisions about the things that are important to you.  For me, it was the ability to communicate coherently.  My stated preference being that my "health care agents" "pull the plug" if I can't communicate and there is no reasonable likelihood that I will be able to communicate.

In other words, I believe the health of my mind is more important than the health of my body.

As I reflect on this decision, I realize that this may be difficult for my family to accept.  Perhaps they will want to cling to my physical presence and some acknowledgment that I know they are there, with no coherent communication.  On the other hand, perhaps my directive will help them let me go, if faced with that situation.

In any case, the suggestion made with the directive is that you share a copy with your agents and/or your family and discuss the directives and reasons for them.  I think having such communication would be helpful for all concerned.

Mark