TheBanyanTree: Hey ho

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Tue Nov 25 04:09:24 PST 2003

Monday November 24, 2003

HEY HO

To Swansea, to pay a couple of bills that came while I was laid up. Bills
have a sneaky way of doing that and then of falling off of the edge of my
consciousness until they are past due.

The lasting image of the day was a street singer, a young bloke with a
guitar, belting out a series of classic rock and roll songs, including 'Hey
Jude', which is guaranteed to get me listening. And remembering.

I give full credit to any singer who throws his head back and gives the
song everything he's got. Doesn't matter if the voice is good or bad -- I
mark street singers on effort.

So, instead of entering the dark, airless fug that is Swansea's Costa
Coffee, I grabbed a take-out burger and ersatz coffee from Burger King and
sat outside to listen to the songs.

The trees in the small square by the Quadrant centre -- a sort of shopping
mall -- still have leaves on them and they drifted down in ones and twos
from a clear, sunny sky.

The singer, the trees, the leaves and the sunny, late autumn sky. The
guitar and the songs. Songs I half-remember, songs I used to sing myself a
long time ago. And a beat-up guitar like the one I had back in the starry
days and nights of 'American Pie'.

Hey ho.

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales