TheBanyanTree: Graduation

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Sun Nov 23 20:11:57 PST 2003

It was almost dark within, the only radiance filtering in through the
low entrance and a hole in one wall which led who-knew-where. Even had
there been light there would have been little to see: a sleeping
platform against one wall, a small wooden table against another with
what appeared to be boxes on it, a cushion casually thrown down on the
ground at the back of the cave. In the background unearthly music resonated.

Outside there were voices:

Man: "We have to do this and there isn't much time before the others
arrive."

Woman: "Do what?"

Man: "I don't know but we have to do it anyway. Come on!"

They entered the cave, man leading, ducking in order to get in.

"Stand there facing out," he instructed, pointing to a spot in front of
the cushion, waiting until she was in position before moving to face
her, an arm's length away.

For a moment there was silence so heavy it was almost palpable then
hesitantly he began to speak.

"You are Acacia the Tree Spirit, once a Child of the Earth . . . ."

He paused, looked round as if expecting to find someone next to or
behind him, shook his head as though to clear it, gazed at her, began again:

"You are Acacia the Tree Spirit, once a Child of the Earth Mother and
now a Child of the Universe. Be aware that the Spirits and Devas of this
place have gathered here to welcome you to their companionship and the
Guidance of the Great Spirit."

(The voice was his but the words were not and still he did not
understand what was happening here.)

"The Path of Life is long and winding, it twists and turns and doubles
back, climbs and descends without cease. In some places it is so steep
and narrow only one may pass at a time. In others, two may climb
hand-in-hand, each helping the other. In the valleys and on the plateaux
many may travel side-by-side, companions of mind, body and spirit.

"When I touch you, you will go to a higher energy level. To come down
from there you need only visualise leaving the cave. To reach it again,
visualise entering the cave and you will be there, instantly."

The man laid his hands gently on the woman's shoulders. At once he felt
a dynamic surge of  energy blast upwards through his body, knew its
onward path, felt her quiver as it found its way to ground again.

"Go forth, Acacia, Child of the Great Spirit, to heal the Earth and
teach others your skills. Use the energy wisely and always for good. Be
not afraid, for none may hurt you, the protection of the Great Spirit
lies all about you, your loved ones and this place."

(His voice stopped and he knew, or thought he knew, the ceremony was
over. His hands still on Acacia's shoulders, he knew without looking
that she was crying, could feel the energy of her tears just as he felt
that of his own. Staring fixedly ahead, for one fleeting instant the
back wall of the cave vanished and he saw through blurred vision what
lay beyond - woodland, a sunlit forest glade, trees of odd design,
unfamiliar creatures, an angel watching overall - then he turned and
rushed from the cave, unable to handle the wonder any longer.)

"I have been asked to make a certificate for you," he said when he
returned, redeyed from the crying but calmer now. "Though it was not
said what should be put on it, I daresay I'll think of something
appropriate."

He smiled wanly, aware the energy was still surging through his body,
knowing it would stabilise soon but never leave him unless he pushed it
away or used it for the wrong thing, knowing also neither of those would
occur as long as he continued to follow the Great Spirit's guidance.

"Would you like a cup of tea?" Acacia asked, pouring it as she spoke.
"We have twenty minutes before the workshop begins, you look as though
you could do with one."

Red-eyed too but practical as ever, he thought as he smiled in return,
the Earth would be in good hands if they were all like her.

"Thanks."

He took the cup and went to peer through the doorway into the chamber of
the ceremony, not a cave at all though it had truly felt like one at the
end, ducked his head and entered. Crossing to the table, he flicked the
'Stop/Eject' button on the tape player, took out 'Resonance' by Terry
Oldfield, replaced it with 'Kusasa', an African Tapestries tape, pressed
'Play', stood looking through the window for a moment, saw a car pass
the gate.

"It begins," he said to himself, the sound of tribal drums in his ears.
"I wonder how it will go, how it will finish!"

"Welcome to Rockwell. My name is Acacia, I am the Custodian here. This
is Roger Pye of Earthcare Environmental Solutions and we have invited
you here to demonstrate an alternative method of controlling invasive
weeds using natural energies. We call it Pytronics . . . . . . . .

He smiled again, this time at their audience, knowing now he had been
promoted, knowing in advance it would go very well indeed.

woodcat, shaman