TheBanyanTree: (Warning! Christian stuff included)

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sun Nov 23 09:19:55 PST 2003

Janice,

I found your posting very thought-provoking. I am new to church . .that is, I
am new BACK to church.  I was raised very traditionally, going to Sunday
school, belonging to the sweet, if often off-key, junior choir, being confirmed,
marrying. etc etc.  Then, having married someone of a different protestant
denomination and in my youth, foolishly signing something of which I had no idea
it meant. My beloved babies being raised in that other denomination because
anything else was not "THE" church, and I getting disgusted, hurt, left out,
simply stopped going to ANY church.

And, years later finding church again, and being welcomed and finding a
spiritual home with chance for growth, I am learning anew. Yet, when I learned as a
child, it was with the innocence and acceptance of a child. Now, after eons
of jaded, cynical slings and arrows, I more often cock my head and think . ."is
that so?"

Love for all mankind is widely preached. I read inspirational books
expounding love without bounds. Bible classes always have a couple of sessions on the
importance of love.

Then why, when a church member falls seriously ill and requires an extended
time of recovery, are the only people visiting or helping out, those "assigned"
to that due to  belonging to the "homebound ministry"?   Where is the
sponaneous and understanding love of the sermons and bible classes?  Are we, as
today's society, too busy with making money, achieving goals, attending our own
gratifications to give time to that "love" business?

It happened again this past week, where a popular church member had a heart
scare just prior to Sunday's service, and how could anyone miss the drama of
the ambulance and medical rushing about and whisking the person away accompanied
with sirens and whistles?  How come no one (other than the pastor) visited
and brought support and prayer to the person while hospitalized?  Where was the
love?  Where was the community of caring so easily preached?

It was a painful event for those closely involved. It hurt me as the person's
friend, to see her disappointment when no one came the week she was in the
hospital.  Once again I was tempted to find another way to worship, without
church. After all, isn't God everywhere?  Could I not pray to Him on the beach, or
out in my garden?

I have been reading a book about purpose-driven lives. Last night I read
another chapter about love.  It's easy to love those who are loveable, it said.
The trick is to love also those who have faults and who cause hurt.

I'm already in the choir at that church, and doing up their weekly bulletins.
But, maybe I need to do more. Maybe I need to start making noise and starting
something reflecting the community of love we speak so much about.  Maybe.

At church this morning, I ran into a casual friend who appears to be going
through something terrible. Maybe I should start there, not let that person
slide through the cracks until next Sunday and I run into him again and wonder why
he looks so gaunt. Another complained about a bad back and how hard it is to
get to church.  Maybe I should offer to pick her up next week.   Maybe I don't
need a committee or directive. I'll just have to put my action where my mouth
is.

I don't want to just go to church and hug people and then forget them all
week.

No maybe about it.

NancyLee